Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted everyone elses point of veiw on this matter... The new tagging system in ohio is a really bad idea...At least as far as the honest hunter is concerned anyway..I sent an email to the Ohio State big buck club asking their input and after better than a week still havent gotten a responce from them. Here is my point. besides all of the obvious reasons this new tagging system is bad. Say I kill a 190 inch buck I have it tagged and scored by a scorer and put into the books.. Cool right ? Ok now what happens when my buddy takes my deer and his buck tag where he tagged a buck and goes to a different scorer and has himself put into the books on the same deer as well........... Kinda makes the record books loose its purpose doesnt it.

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
not a shot at you, but if someone really takes the time to do that to have their name in a book they are pathetic. I mean it is not like your going to make money off the deal, unless it is a FREAK, and that is still a maybe. I think the system keeps honest guys honest and *******s are still *******s.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Agree...non-issue.

Any of the top end record book deer will be known and recognized...highly unlikely you pull it off even if switching states. No sponsor throws down cash without investigating these days - there was just a case out there like this where they found out the new team member actually poached his buck with a rifle in KY instead of a legal bow kill. Dropped him like a stone and he'll never work in this industry.

I do believe this would be easily done with low end entries under 170 inches, but who cares. There are already illegal entries in the existing record books......the clubs aren't the game police. And any loser that falsely enters themselves more than just a couple times will take notice. And as was mentioned there is no gain from being entered....you pay them to enter the deer! Whoop-tee-do!!! Any guy that would do this likley has 8 versions of the "whose who" books with his name in it too.:cheeky-smiley-022:

The record books are not about men anyway...they are about game.

The tagging system has been debated just a few times on this site....a minority doesn't like it...far and away most do.

·
Registered
5,836 Posts
Fish-n-Fool I don't think thats the case... The new check in sysyem is not: far and away most do.
There are many that dis-like it only the lazy like it!! Most game wardens when in regards to ligit deer # will tell you that it is not a good thing..WAKE UP!!!! 1 out of 500+ will ever be seen by anyone of important's. Whan the human factor is out people will cheat. Even the one's that didn't before... Oh that was a little buck I will call it in as a doe. No one will know.

The system sucks! Other than convinance! ONLY THE NIEVE THINK ITS A GOOD SYSTEM!!!

[/COLOR]
Oh wait other states have the system.. Hunters in other states bit+hed about it too.

As for getting into the books anything is is possible It it is under 160 no one will find out But realloy what kind of losser would do that?

·
Registered
593 Posts
I do not understand why anyone would dislike the new system. It saves me a **** load of gas and a lot of time. What is bad about it? Poachers will poach either way!

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
194 Posts
The new check system is indeed very efficient, faster for the most part and pretty easy. Downright handy for turkeys cause most of the birds I have taken over the years have been early, before the shops open up.
Though I am disapointed that another "tradition" has became extinct. I always look forward to sitting at a check station on opening gun day watching the big bucks roll through. The "check him in" tradition for some was looked forward to as a special part of the memory. I think the check stations for the most part felt the same way, taking pictures posting them up and selling a few extra pops and candy bars was all part of it. Most of you guys are probably to young to remember the back tags hunters had to wear. Used to be a hunting liscense was something you saved year after year. Your duck stamps, trapping tags and permission slips went in that pouch too, it was the law. All part of the tradition that rolled around every year. One thing is for sure and thats things evolve and change, another thing for sure is that some will like it and others wont.

·
Registered
4,400 Posts
The guy that shot the little buck simply didnt tag it at all before. I personnally like the new system. No matter what system we have, poachers will poach and dishonest people will try to find a way to cheat. Been going on for years and will go on for years to come.
sam-r261 UP.Browser/6.2.3.8 (GUI) MMP/2.0

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I agree with that too but do we need to make it easier for them to poach and get away with it ? Thats what this new system does NO matter what people wanna say...

·
Registered
6,354 Posts
Why would you let your buddy take your deer and have it scored as his kill ?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Oh wait other states have the system.. Hunters in other states bit+hed about it too. Wildman18

I don't post much and that is because right after I first joined I responded to similar post about this very subject and it was removed. This was right after the telecheck system was implemented and before deer season had begun. Since a little time has passed and others have been able to see for themselves the horrors of telecheck it gives me quite a bit of satisfaction.

05-29-2012 07:59 PMdarkebowhunterI do not understand why anyone would dislike the new system. It saves me a **** load of gas and a lot of time. What is bad about it? Poachers will poach either way!

to darkebowhunter
I do not understand why anyone would dislike the new system. It saves me a **** load of gas and a lot of time. What is bad about it? Poachers will poach either way!

I agree it is convenient for what I hope to belive is the majority of us however I have seen that it allows people who may have been on the fence w/ questionable morals and ethics to fall right off, tag a buck as a doe, hold off till they are done hunting just in case a bigger one walks by, etc. So yes I do agree that poachers are going to poach but to me telechek makes it that much easier and I don't mind being inconvenienced if it makes it tougher on those that won't follow the rules.

The best I can recall my original post said something like " I feel sorry for Ohio" What I meant at the time was as a NR I see the all the opportunites you guys have and am honestly a bit jealous. Alot of this has to do with the great job your DNR has done over the years to insure the whitetail population thrives. To me telechek is a big step backwards in proper deer managment.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I'd like to apologize to the moderators, after my last post I decided to look back and did find the post I had accussed ya'll of deleting..........my bad :confused:

·
Registered
5,836 Posts
Sammy do you mean you are not a pro-call in your game? I thought all the states that have are in-love with it? That's strange!LOL

·
Registered
28 Posts
The new system is ok. Ohio just needs to do like some of the other states do. I be leave its Kansas that does it almost the same way we do it except... You have to text or email two pics of the deer .. 1 up close of the antlers and 1 of the whole deer ... .. When you check the deer in.. I think that would help to eliminate. The obvious poaching like I shot an 8 point (110) then while doe hunting a150 8 point walks by ... With pics on record it could help deter a lot of bad stuff .. And come on how bad would that be?

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The old system is a much better way to do this.. Its all about the allmighty dollar. when they started this it had nothing to do with deer heard management. We all know this....I think we all pay enough for tags and and hunting lic to cover the cost of the old way and still buy them their new trucks to ride around in..

·
Registered
4,400 Posts
Does anybody on here think that nobody cheated the old system? The dishonest people simply didnt check deer in or killed multiple bucks and bought the wife or other family members or a friend a tag and let them check it in. What would the poachers do if our county wildlife officers had to personally tag and inspect every deer harvested in their county? Do you think that would stop poaching? Guarantee it wouldnt. There is not a foolproof system. Idiots will find a way to get around it. Our highway patrol and police agencies have tried for years to keep our roads safe from drunk drivers and speeders but yet every day people are killed by them. Why? Because people choose to break the laws and the cops cant be everywhere. Same with our wildlife officers. If everyone was honest how many laws do you think we would need? There will ALWAYS be law breakers and poachers trying to cheat the system. The people that dont see this are the niave ones. I would bet that the vast majority of hunters like the new system.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Does anybody on here think that nobody cheated the old system? The dishonest people simply didnt check deer in or killed multiple bucks and bought the wife or other family members or a friend a tag and let them check it in. What would the poachers do if our county wildlife officers had to personally tag and inspect every deer harvested in their county? Do you think that would stop poaching? Guarantee it wouldnt. There is not a foolproof system. Idiots will find a way to get around it. Our highway patrol and police agencies have tried for years to keep our roads safe from drunk drivers and speeders but yet every day people are killed by them. Why? Because people choose to break the laws and the cops cant be everywhere. Same with our wildlife officers. If everyone was honest how many laws do you think we would need? There will ALWAYS be law breakers and poachers trying to cheat the system. The people that dont see this are the niave ones. I would bet that the vast majority of hunters like the new system.
:thumbs_up::thumbs_up:

·
Ohio Sportsman
1,991 Posts

Miss some things with the old system, but as technology evolves, we must evolve with it. The new system is good, we just have to get accustomed to it.
By the way, poachers make their own rules and any systems that we agree is good, a poacher won't care.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts