Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I recently gained access to some private land in Harrison county, outside Cadiz Ohio. Ill be heading down whitetail hunting in the fall was just curious as to what caliber of bucks can be expected in this area or if anyone was familiar with hunting this area in general? I know there is a sizeable deer heard just not familiar with the class of bucks taken out of this area. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
4,872 Posts
Your in a good area.My buddy has a cabin over that way.Some really nice bucks there and you hear a lot of shooting. I'm sure you will be happy.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Your in a good area.My buddy has a cabin over that way.Some really nice bucks there and you hear a lot of shooting. I'm sure you will be happy.
Thanks for the response and info! Yea i have done a ton of reading and its varied a ton which is too be expected haha its ranged from " i see a lot of 150s" to "i see a lot of 110s" each year. I know its not a top tier county for big bucks but seems with that many deer there should be some solid bucks in the area

·
Registered
90 Posts
My parents lived off of 250 by Pleasant Valley .
We always seen 150 class bucks every year during the rut .
My best bet is to put some trail cameras up and see what's running around .
We use to check the cameras ,like little kids peaking at Christmas presents .
I missed that honey hole .

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My parents lived off of 250 by Pleasant Valley .
We always seen 150 class bucks every year during the rut .
My best bet is to put some trail cameras up and see what's running around .
We use to check the cameras ,like little kids peaking at Christmas presents .
I missed that honey hole .
Thanks Anthony. I think the area you're describing is in the NE corner of Harrison right? Yea i plan on getting some trail cameras out in the next couple weeks, just trying to get some advanced intel from guys with knowledge of the area. Appreciate the insight

·
Registered
362 Posts
We have a cabin near Cadiz & there are some nice bucks in the area. The population has definitely dropped as most places in ohio have. We used to see 10+ deer in just about every field in the evening, last couple years you would rarely see 10+ total.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yea I knew there was supposed to be a healthy heard in general but even if it's decreased and there's some solid bucks i won't be complaining haha

·
Premium Member
2,753 Posts
I hunt 350 Acres of private family farm land north of Hopedale in Harrison County. We have good numbers on the property and some really bucks. One 160" 10 point survived a miss from me on Sept. 27, a miss by my uncle the first week of november and a miss by my cousin's husband the second week of november. On the last day of deer gun season I was hunting with my Marlin 1895 .45-70 the buck came out to about 75 yards broadside. i squeezed the trigger and the hammer fell, "click". I had neglected to take off the cross bolt safey so it fell to 1/4 cock. He was going 75mph toward the creek bottom the last time I saw him. Needless to say he's on the hit list this fall. You'll enjoy hunting in Harrison County.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Hunted up there many times. Seen some big deer over there. Hunted Leesville and Clendening and around Atwater. Very good area.

Reactions: R. Toker

·
Registered
355 Posts
I have a few hubdred acres between Cadiz and Jewitt. Good deer numbers and some goos size deer. Nothing like the caliber of bucks on the farm in Columbiana county but way higher deer numbers

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
I hunt 350 Acres of private family farm land north of Hopedale in Harrison County. We have good numbers on the property and some really bucks. One 160" 10 point survived a miss from me on Sept. 27, a miss by my uncle the first week of november and a miss by my cousin's husband the second week of november. On the last day of deer gun season I was hunting with my Marlin 1895 .45-70 the buck came out to about 75 yards broadside. i squeezed the trigger and the hammer fell, "click". I had neglected to take off the cross bolt safey so it fell to 1/4 cock. He was going 75mph toward the creek bottom the last time I saw him. Needless to say he's on the hit list this fall. You'll enjoy hunting in Harrison County.
That deer is living on borrowed time it would seem. Hope you get another crack at him this season.

·
Premium Member
2,753 Posts
I've never seen anything like it! We are all usually pretty reliable shot makers. He's just like a ghost. I had him coming to my stand on Oct. 30th he was at 30 yards but behind a limb, looked out to the other side of the alfalfa field and saw two does and took off after them. Two more steps I would have had a slam dunk shot. The miss I had on Sept. 27th I misjudged yardage and my range finder was in my truck! My uncle hasn't missed a deer with his bow since the Clinton Admin. so his deal was really weird. 30 yards broadside from the same stand! Dude just has some kind of luck but he's a beautiful 5x5. Can't wait to see him this year!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Anyone interested in reviving this thread? I have hunted near Harrisville for the past three years and am getting the fever for another round this fall.

·
Premium Member
2,753 Posts
Harrison County or HarrCo as we call it here locally is a great place for outdoorsmen. Hunting, fishing and just being hillbillies. I hope everyone who comes here enjoys it. My better half owns a great restaurant in Hopedale you should all stop by and enjoy.

www.caprarosrestaurant.com

·
Registered
432 Posts
Harrison County or HarrCo as we call it here locally is a great place for outdoorsmen. Hunting, fishing and just being hillbillies. I hope everyone who comes here enjoys it. My better half owns a great restaurant in Hopedale you should all stop by and enjoy.

www.caprarosrestaurant.com
You're right in my neck of the woods. I have property in Hopedale and a camper on a buddies property as well. We eat at Capraros frequently. Lou's is excellent as well, although I haven't been there since it sold.

·
Premium Member
2,753 Posts
Is Lou's the fish place?
Yes, it's been there for years. Under new ownership currently and I won't post on a public forum the things we have been hearing. I wish everyone the best when it comes to running a business. I see the work my wife puts into her place and it's not for everyone. My wife sells around 350 pounds of fish a week at Capraro's so I guess you could call her place "the fish place" too. :D. Hope to see you folks sometime and discuss where all the big bucks are or where all the ducks and geese are as I'm more of a waterfowl hunter than deer hunter.

·
Registered
2 Posts
A few buddies and myself have access to 500 acres of private land near Cadiz it is an old reclaimed coal mine with very steep ponds throughout the property. We have a couple pictures of some decent bucks on a few mineral sites earlier in the spring and a few does but the numbers of deer on the property seem to be low. We would appreciate any information of maybe where to find big bucks or larger groups of deer. We’ve walked the property and have seen some great sign so we know they are there. The oaks that haven’t been logged haven’t seemed to produce the acorn crop of my property in Medina County so I assume they are just browsing whatever they can find nothing specifically. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
362 Posts
A few buddies and myself have access to 500 acres of private land near Cadiz it is an old reclaimed coal mine with very steep ponds throughout the property. We have a couple pictures of some decent bucks on a few mineral sites earlier in the spring and a few does but the numbers of deer on the property seem to be low. We would appreciate any information of maybe where to find big bucks or larger groups of deer. We've walked the property and have seen some great sign so we know they are there. The oaks that haven't been logged haven't seemed to produce the acorn crop of my property in Medina County so I assume they are just browsing whatever they can find nothing specifically. Thanks guys!
As always, find bedding & food sources. Hopefully it is not getting a bunch of hunting pressure

500 acres is a nice chunck of ground that could be managed very well.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'll be heading to Harrison county also this fall for a pre rut archery hunt around Halloween. Plan on spending a week the first part of November. A buddy has access to some coal property in the area. He's done well down there for years. It's been a few years since he's hunted there so we are planning the trip together. I'll post our results/success or lack of after our hunt.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts