Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
There’s been a slight change of plans for deer camp due to a certain virus causing a bunch of havoc on my family but it still should be a great time. The women and children will be joining us for a couple days in a cabin with promises of hot food every night when we return. If we don’t have our tags filled within the first 2 days we will have to finish the week roughing it on the deer lease (not complaining one bit about that!). Can’t wait for Monday! It’s the closest thing to Christmas morning as a kid! I put all of my packing on hold when China attacked us but now I’m back on planning and prepping for the big day!

Reactions: bankfish

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I wish that was the forecast where I’m going to be hunting! I like the temps forecasted for me though, perfect other than we could use a little snow as well.
The weather forecast is changing by the minute but this is where it stands right now. I might be smiling a bit. 😊😊😊

View attachment 55572

Reactions: bluedog

·
Registered
236 Posts
good luck to all the gun hunters tomorrow, I will count myself as one of them.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Wow it’s really quiet down here. Too quiet….

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
I'm back at the house for lunch but it was a beautiful morning to be deer hunting. I only heard 3 shots before 8am. Then scattered volleys of shots the rest of the morning. Not very much though.

I had a couple does come in behind me and blow first thing. Then had a spike work in front of me but no shot. That's all I saw this morning.

Plant Snow Natural landscape Twig Wood

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Three of us hunted public land in Belmont county. Only heard 5 shots by 8:00. We saw one deer. A nice 9 pt that my nephew bagged. Very little shooting and significantly less hunters than years past. Saw more trucks/cars the first week of November.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Was out today on public, NE Ohio, and nary a shot was heard.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
My nephew was turned away by two deer processors today. They both had already taken their limit of deer. I am thinking the public land kill will be down but more than made up for by the remainder of the land in the state.

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
Painful deer hunting continues for me. Monday evening I sat by our pond as we have a trail cam that catches deer moving past a couple times a week at a least. I saw no deer.

Tuesday morning I saw a doe and a fawn move from bedding to the woods around 8am. Too far out for a shot but they were near this one downed tree where I had seen deer move in previous years (mental note made for later in the week). Tuesday evening I sat at the back of our big field where one of our hunters had seen a doe/fawn and a spike on Monday evening. I saw no deer. A deer blew at me and ran off when I stood up to leave. It was way too dark for me to see it.

Wednesday I did a dark to dark all day sit. The only deer encounters were a deer that blew in the dark and ran off on my walk in and one way far in the field when I walked out of the woods at dark.

Thursday morning I went back to the downed tree on the edge of bedding/woods as the wind was perfect. This time I made sure I was within range of the tree. I got set up well before sunrise. A doe and a fawn came from bedding to the woods around 9:30am but this time they were 50 yards further away from the downed tree. It is way too thick there to shoot any distance. I watched them through my binoculars for 20 minutes before I couldn't see them anymore. An hour later I backtracked to the road and did a loop around to keep the wind in my favor and slowly worked toward where I thought they might be. I didn't loop far enough around and they caught my down wind scent way before I even saw them and ran back to bedding on my neighbor's. Thursday evening I set up near where the deer I saw Wednesday evening at been feeding. Just after sunset, I had 2 deer start down a trail that would give me a 25 yard shot. They stopped behind some brush and trees at 30 yards. It was a button buck and a yearling buck and they spent the rest of the time head butting and playing around with each other. My gun was up and safety was off waiting for one of them to walk into the open but it just got darker and darker and darker until I couldn't see. Once it was too dark for me to see, I shifted my position and 2 faint white tails flagged and ran off.

I took this morning off as a mental health break and will be out later. :) :) :)

·
Registered
237 Posts
Painful deer hunting continues for me. Monday evening I sat by our pond as we have a trail cam that catches deer moving past a couple times a week at a least. I saw no deer.

Tuesday morning I saw a doe and a fawn move from bedding to the woods around 8am. Too far out for a shot but they were near this one downed tree where I had seen deer move in previous years (mental note made for later in the week). Tuesday evening I sat at the back of our big field where one of our hunters had seen a doe/fawn and a spike on Monday evening. I saw no deer. A deer blew at me and ran off when I stood up to leave. It was way too dark for me to see it.

Wednesday I did a dark to dark all day sit. The only deer encounters were a deer that blew in the dark and ran off on my walk in and one way far in the field when I walked out of the woods at dark.

Thursday morning I went back to the downed tree on the edge of bedding/woods as the wind was perfect. This time I made sure I was within range of the tree. I got set up well before sunrise. A doe and a fawn came from bedding to the woods around 9:30am but this time they were 50 yards further away from the downed tree. It is way too thick there to shoot any distance. I watched them through my binoculars for 20 minutes before I couldn't see them anymore. An hour later I backtracked to the road and did a loop around to keep the wind in my favor and slowly worked toward where I thought they might be. I didn't loop far enough around and they caught my down wind scent way before I even saw them and ran back to bedding on my neighbor's. Thursday evening I set up near where the deer I saw Wednesday evening at been feeding. Just after sunset, I had 2 deer start down a trail that would give me a 25 yard shot. They stopped behind some brush and trees at 30 yards. It was a button buck and a yearling buck and they spent the rest of the time head butting and playing around with each other. My gun was up and safety was off waiting for one of them to walk into the open but it just got darker and darker and darker until I couldn't see. Once it was too dark for me to see, I shifted my position and 2 faint white tails flagged and ran off.

I took this morning off as a mental health break and will be out later. :) :) :)
If you were down here you would be out there all day. A gorgeous 56 sunny calm day.

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
Friday evening I sat for the first time this year at the back of our side field. I've shot 2 deer in the past here and missed a nice buck one year. I saw nothing but a squirrel that almost ran into me. 😊

BUT on the opposite end of our side field, 400 yards away, my husband was set up in our "hedgerow" spot. We've both shot deer from that spot in the past. Monday he saw a group of 11 does/fawns come out but they were too far and then it got too dark. He sat there both Wednesday and Thursday and saw smaller groups of deer but again they were coming out at last light and too far to shoot in the dim light. Last night he sat there again. This time I heard a shot at about 5 minutes before 5pm and then a text saying "venison down". 😊 This time it was a group of 13 does/fawns and he was able to get a shot at a mature doe. The picture is pretty poor because I didn't factor in the lights from the Kubota. Plus when we rolled her up on her chest for the picture, one of my hands was completely covered in mud and blood so I was trying to take the picture on my cell phone by handling it with one hand. Awkward. LOL In any case, we have venison for the freezer and now my motivation for hunting has significant fallen off. I'm sure I'll be out deer hunting again this season. It might be this weekend yet or maybe not until the bonus weekend. I have company coming next weekend and I need to work on getting the house in order.

Good luck to who are hunting this weekend!!

Sleeve Fawn Terrestrial animal Grass Wallaby

21 - 40 of 40 Posts