Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else have a countdown as well? No matter how much hate and bad PR the Ohio Gun Season gets I will always participate, it’s my favorite time of hunting season. We are planning a deer camp in Jackson County and I can’t wait. Hopefully it will be like the old days when we camped out for gun week when I was a teenager. How’s the popularity of gun season in the southern counties? I always hear about war zones but I’ve never witnessed it and blame anti-gunners for spreading lies. Where I’m from up north it’s hard to find anyone else hunting during gun week and I’ve only heard maybe ten shots in the last 3 years, including my own shots.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Sounds fun. I think the SW does pretty good and consistently with good with numbers. I am checking with two adjacent neighbors right now to plan for something myself. I would bow shoot, though. Can't use my shotgun anymore.

·
2,076 Posts
Though I love bowhunting I always look forward to shotgun season. This year there are 7 of us renting a cabin in southeast ohio. I dint care if I get a deer or not. Just getting together with my friends bull crapping , little drinking card playing and making fun of each other is worth it all. Last year a friend came with us who hadn’t deer hunted in years. We sit him up in the best spot and he got a doe and a nice 8 pointer. He was exhausted but he had a great time. He’s coming again this year. That’s what urs all about.

·
Registered
432 Posts
This year, like every year I have the week off of work for gun. I enjoy bowhunting the rut more, from a purely hunting perspective. But the experience and the comradery of being at camp all week with friends is what puts it over the top for me.

·
Registered
277 Posts
This will be my 29th year in a row of deer gun camp without missing a year. If you have never been to a deer camp you would not understand. I also enjoy bow hunting but nothing like spending a week with your good buddies and family camping and hunting. We don’t get too worried about shooting a deer that’s just a bonus if you get one, it’s all about the experience.

·
Registered
237 Posts
The more I read here, the more I want to try and make a return to gun hunting. Have not been able to shoot my 12 gauge deer gun for 6 years. Is there a no-kick rifle option for shooting inside of 75 yards?

Reactions: ya13ya03

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
The more I read here, the more I want to try and make a return to gun hunting. Have not been able to shoot my 12 gauge deer gun for 6 years. Is there a no-kick rifle option for shooting inside of 75 yards?
The 350 legend the 44 mag the 357 mag all good options for your situation imo

·
Registered
432 Posts
350 legend is about as low recoil as you can get.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I would think a semiautomatic shotgun would suit your needs very well. A Remington 1100 is very easy on the shoulder albeit a heavy load to lug all day.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Thank you for the recommendations ! My semi-auto1100 shotguns and my semi-auto 11-87 deer gun sure were a lot of fun over the years. But they are pretty much heirlooms as of 6 years ago. A stroke in 2015 ruined my left side and the shoulder especially is left in a semi-frozen and painful condition. Luckily the crossbow is not a problem so far. But if there is a rifle on the market that can do the job without hurting me I'll get one.

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
Thank you for the recommendations ! My semi-auto1100 shotguns and my semi-auto 11-87 deer gun sure were a lot of fun over the years. But they are pretty much heirlooms as of 6 years ago. A stroke in 2015 ruined my left side and the shoulder especially is left in a semi-frozen and painful condition. Luckily the crossbow is not a problem so far. But if there is a rifle on the market that can do the job without hurting me I'll get one.
350 legend is your animal then imo I wouldn’t hesitate to let even the most recoil sensitive shooters and small frame shooter use a rifle in that soft shooting caliber…. Where do you live I’d be more then willing to meet up with you to test one out if you’re close enough

·
Registered
237 Posts
350 legend is your animal then imo I wouldn’t hesitate to let even the most recoil sensitive shooters and small frame shooter use a rifle in that soft shooting caliber…. Where do you live I’d be more then willing to meet up with you to test one out if you’re close enough
Thanks for the offer. I am in the SW region in Beavercreek OH. Spring Valley shooting range is closest.

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
Lake Charles, Louisiana
Depending on where you are headed in the state you should be able to do a tad better then 18 hours I just mapped the lake to my location in north east Ohio and it’s got me just under 17 and takes me two to get to Ohio power (Aep) rec lands in Morgan county that’s southeast Ohio …. Have a safe trip up

·
Registered
310 Posts
Depending on where you are headed in the state you should be able to do a tad better then 18 hours I just mapped the lake to my location in north east Ohio and it’s got me just under 17 and takes me two to get to Ohio power (Aep) rec lands in Morgan county that’s southeast Ohio …. Have a safe trip up

I have it mapped at 17.5 hours to Zanesville but traveling with a new born, 4, and 6 year old little girls will contribute to it taking a little longer lol

1 - 20 of 40 Posts