Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner
101 - 106 of 106 Posts

· Registered
36 Posts
Summary

Crossbows are bad but compounds are ok. So long as you don't hunt to much before gun season.

Inline muzzleloaders are compared to single shots. Wtf.

And we want rifles now. The 350 legend and all the other new weapons allowed during gun seasons are plenty enough to harvest a deer.

We also need more young hunters. The best way to do so is giving them easier to use weapons. Crossbows ,350 legend rifles and inline muzzleloaders.

But we don't want to share the outdoors or our deer heard. Smh. The best way to get kids away from the electronics is to get them outside. Teach them to hunt and fish. Just don't be mad when they out fish you or kill that big buck you have night pics of but they did the scouting to find his bedroom. We have some great young or just new older hunters. I'm in a very heavily hunted area and believe me it's hard to hunt but that's what makes it fun. If I could just sit on a bucket and shoot a big buck with a gun it wouldn't be fun. I want to scout. Find new areas. Hang new stands. Plant food plots. Figure out new over looked food sources. Understand travel patterns. This is hunting. The method of kill is just that. A weapon. To me it doesn't matter how you do it. Just get out there and enjoy it. And get some youth hunters involved while you're at it. Could be a niece or nephew. The neighbors kids. Kid from church or work. Anyone.

Bottom line is we should be proud of the great state of Ohio and what we have to use as resources. And be happy when you see a kid with a crossbow and a tree stand out trying to get a deer. For them it's still the thrill of the chase not just killing a big buck.
The last paragraph says it all... and it should have been followed with everyone agreeing. I agree. Good Luck to everyone no matter what you are using to kill a deer.

Reactions: ya13ya03

· Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #102 ·
I’ve never in my life seen hoards of ppl hunting the muzzleloader season. Sometimes I think I live on a different planet let alone different state than some of you people.
I don’t hunt muzzleloader season, too late in the season, unless a deer stick or trail bologna deer is still needed, antlers are too soft , leave them go and let them grow for next year, just the way I am, the rest of you—enjoy the great outdoors by all means!

· Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #103 ·
I’ve been here 19years this is nothing. Should have been here in the old days. Lots of fun back then. 19 years tomorrow actually it appears.
We could use some of ways of the old school days back, great excitement of the unknown then, very exciting, no trailcam, no feeders, leasing was unheard of, just great hunting and community gathering fun, and now?

· Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #104 ·
We could use some of ways of the old school days back, great excitement of the unknown then, very exciting, no trailcam, no feeders, leasing was unheard of, just great hunting and community gathering fun, and now?
50 years afield in ohio
I’ve seen what works, and what the present is, as far as changes go, if an ODNR member or family member wants it, it will become law, worked indirectly with them, that is how it works

· Premium Member
3,093 Posts
Now we can add trail cameras to the list!! Woo hoo!! Let’s ban everything, Pelosi!

101 - 106 of 106 Posts