Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner
81 - 100 of 106 Posts

· Registered
195 Posts
What your missing is the amount of people that are now hunting during "Bow" season has now doubled (maybe tripled) because of the use of crossbows. More people, more opportunity, more dead deer. (Most successful hunters only harvest one deer per year, per ODNR). By the time gun season rolls around, you have less deer, more educated deer, and less hunters (Compared to years past.) The "Orange army" now wears camo. I have hunted deer in Ohio for over 40 years. We had more hunters, less deer and for most of us, if you hunted deer, it was during gun week.
I believe jrose is exactly on target, at least in my SE Ohio area. Years ago, there was constant shooting during gun week, especially at dawn and dusk. Now only an occasional shot. Years ago, driving around you would see orange hunters around every turn. Today, only an occasional hunter in orange. The deer are still being hunted, but a great deal of that hunting has shifted to camo season. Deer hunters know the early bird gets the worm (buck).

· Registered
763 Posts
How goofy! My in-line and Davy Crockett’s old Betsy load exactly the same way. Powder then ball then priming. One shot, no fast reload. If fact a British soldier with a Brown Bess could reload faster than an inline. If you want to shoot an inferior piece then do so. I don’t care if you shoot iron sights or no sights. But your whining about in-line muzzle loaders is foolish.
An inline muzzleloader is inferior to a breechloader. Oh, and when you get that breechloader how could you possibly hunt using inferior ammunition? My Weatherby 30.06 is guarantied to shoot sub-MOA groups (under 1 inch at 100 yards), mine came in closer to 0.75 inch on the factory test. With handloads, refined over decades, I can get 0.5 inches.

So by your logic you should scrap that inline, buy a proper breechloading rifle, get reloding gear & supplies, and optimize your ammo. So why would you be advocating an inline? Or have you just decided what you want and are spouting whatever you think might support your cause?

A traditional muzzleloader doesn't provide instant gratification. It requires attention to detail, skill, and practice. Real hunters won't go out that far to assure that they have sufficient energy. They know they're limitations & that of their equipment.. I won't sh0ot much over a hundred yards in a field situation, even with my 30.06, depending on the situation..The weapon isn't the limiting factor, the limiting factor is the shooter.

Long range shootings competitions for muzzleloaders are at ranges from 500 to 1000 yards. I've seen shooters at an NMLR competition at Friendship Indiana hitting 12 inch targets with open sights at those ranges. Can you do that with your inline? Why don't you post a video.to show us how superior your inline is?

· Premium Member
3,093 Posts
That’s a wild claim. Let’s see your reference. I don’t believe such a database exists.
Wild claim! All I do is speak truth. Thankfully yuh all have me here for reference to your uninformed, misguided opinions. :ROFLMAO:

· Premium Member
3,093 Posts
That has nothing to do with what I said.
you didn’t say crossbow hunters are likely new hunters and likely unsuccessful? Am I blind or did you not say that?

· Registered
98 Posts
Good point, though I suspect the crossbow hunters are mostly new & inexperienced hunters and are not successful.

That said, I Iooked through the ODNR deer harvest report and that is not data that they report, nor do they provide data from which this can be inferred.

Have no statistics to prove or disprove the inexperience claim but in my experience it’s been the opposite. Most crossbow hunters are veteran hunters who previously used a vertical bow of some type that I know. Many of the best hunters and general woodsmen I know use a crossbow in archery season.

· Premium Member
3,093 Posts
I’m all for the one buck limit. Don’t know how much more clear I can be on it. I understand it’s one of the reasons we grow those big Lee Lakosky wanna be bucks here. So everyone can be Lee Lakosky. Or have the chance to be.

· Premium Member
3,093 Posts
I’d be more interested in some data from Indiana showing before and after real rifles being permitted. That would be more pertinent to my argument.

81 - 100 of 106 Posts