Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have been searching for a training system (books, dvds, etc) to use for our GSP pup. We are considering the ones listed below. I would greatly appreciate any comments on these or recommendations. I have found/read so much great info on these forums, but I would like to pick one system and stick with it. Also, can anyone recommend a dog club in the NE Ohio/NW PA area? I am considering NAVHDA as well. Thanks for any input.

We are looking at the following

1. Hann: The PerfectStart/Perfect Finish
2. George Hickox: Trainiing Pointing Dogs
3. Training with Mo: Martha Greenlee

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
One hears a lot of positives for Perfect Start/Perfect Finish...no personal experience tho.

I would suggest looking on gundogforum.com for experience and advice...there are other upland dog sites as well.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Any and everything from perfection kennels ( number 1 on your list) is without a doubt your best choice. Stay away from high point kennels. Have had too many guys tell me how he absolutely fries dogs with the e collar. All n kennels just over the ohio border in West Virginia is were I would send the dog for training. They're the best around this region.

·
Registered
5 Posts
There are a lot of good DVD's/books. The one's above would be just fine. Also, may recommend Rick/Ronnie Smith (Huntsmith.com). I've taken their in person courses and know several of their trainers. The info in their books/DVD's is the same material. Navdha would serve you well , as well as GSP of Ohio (I don't own GSP, but, know quite a few folks that do and some belong to this one as well as the western PA club).
There are some really good trainers around, so, you should be able to find one that you like.
Hope this helps.
Good luck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts