Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ready. Set. Go. I passed my self-imposed restriction on groundhog hunting dates and I'm ready for a summer of groundhogs.

I started 2 evenings ago when I moseyed down the road to my dairy farm neighbor's place. After stopping to chat to his hired help on the way, I set up just inside the door of a hay barn that overlooks the lot behind all the barns. There is a big pile of rock and concrete rubble that ALWAYS has groundhogs in it. As usual, there was a whole family living there. I passed up a lot of shots at first mostly due to weeds being in the way or due to groundhogs sitting on top of the whole pile and being skylined. But eventually a good shot would present itself. Within 30 minutes I shot 3: mom and 2 young ones. There is at least one more young one left. I had to quit for the evening when the farmer when to bring the cows in from pasture for the evening milking.

Plant community Sky Plant Natural landscape Bedrock

Then last night I was innocently carrying something out to the garage when I rounded the corner of the house and there was a groundhog in the backyard. I turned around and went back inside to get a gun. Of course the groundhog was not where I saw it anymore so I took what I was carrying outside to the garage and then went looking for the groundhog. There was one feeding in the yard along the edge of the weeds that run along the creek. I was able to use a conveniently placed hay wagon for a rest that made for a 75 shot with the .17hmr.

Plant Tree People in nature Sunglasses Gesture

·
Registered
5,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's been another slow year here. I got 2 early on & that's all I saw until a week ago this past Sat when I got a large female. Then, last Friday after noon, I go anther large female & 2 young uns. I think there is 1 more adult & 1 more small one. No pics as my camera has been in the shop for repairs.

Congrats on yours. The 2 little ones I got were smaller than yours.
There is one I have been watching in the hay field across the road. I'll need some time one evening when I can set up and wait because it is close enough to the road that I can't really sneak up on it. But if I get set up in advance, I can manage a safe shooting direction. There is also one living under my chicken barn. Although there is a small possibility that the one I shot in the backyard is the same one. I haven't seen the chicken barn groundhog since but I don't see it every day anyway. There could very well be more than one. I have been seeing them in the roadside ditches a lot the past 2 weeks.

Good to hear you are out there hunting them too. We are the only 2 who post about groundhog hunting with any regularity.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts