Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a groundhog max plow to use on my Polaris ranger utv. Read some horror stories about guys bending their hitch receivers with this plow. I started out very shallow and lowered the plow once I had the ground softened up. No issues with my receiver using this method. Below are some pics of my plot. Planted some Great 8 seed by antler king. Plus some fertilizer.

Reactions: Deehntr56

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
I picked one up used...I tried it in an overgrown hayfield and it struggled with the heavy green sod after Bush hogging...so we had a tiller come in that area for our corn plots....I think it will work better in the woods, plus I have a polaris sportsman 400...so not alot of horsepower and weight....looks good buddy

·
Premium Member
2,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was surprised how well it turned the soil as I didn’t have it set very deep. Circles and figure 8’s worked the best with it

·
Registered
283 Posts
That’s encouraging, I just picked one up last week. I did reinforce my hitch after reading the reviews. I am heading to mow and spray this weekend. Then hopefully plow and plant in a few weeks.

·
Premium Member
2,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How did you reinforce your hitch?

·
Premium Member
2,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I still may do mine haven’t decided yet.

·
5,174 Posts
Have had one for three years and love it! Did pull it with a bush hog trail hand with a Honda 550 engine, you knew you were working. Just picked up a Honda pioneer 700, expect it to work great.

·
Premium Member
2,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I thought about welding a 3/8 or 1/2” steel plate to the top of my factory receiver just to be safe.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I thought about welding a 3/8 or 1/2” steel plate to the top of my factory receiver just to be safe.
I bought the Max a few years ago. Definitely works way better on unthatched ground. Takes a little while to prepare the ground like you want it (with an ATV), but it does a good enough job for those of us without a tractor. I’ve used it for small food plots on my Adams County property and here, in Georgia, on our hunting property. It’s definitely a useful tool to have for those staging area food plots. Good luck with your future plots! Hope you get a bruiser this season out of one of them!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have one too and used it on a few plots, I think not setting it to low is key to start with. Lower it some after you break up the top soil if you want. One thing I did was use a weed eater to get the grass and weeds low the a battery powered blower to eliminate as much thatch as possible first. If it's hard to get to or a tight area if works pretty good I used a foeman 400 and my Honda Rubicon both did the work nicely. The plot pictures look really nice! Good luck this year, 65 more days until the magic starts again.

·
Registered
228 Posts
That really looks good. If you are not going very deep, find a old disc, and pull it around, in circles and figuer 8's. it will not only cut up the roots, but turn the ground over some what to plant.

·
Premium Member
2,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Number two!!!

·
Premium Member
2,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The most recent had been a plot before but hasn’t been tilled or planted in two or three years.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts