Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
5,495 Posts
Absolutely! Got my first one on Sunday and missed another. Went out yesterday just to look and even though it was horribly cold with the wind, I saw one out. Tried to sneak closer (had to because of crazy rule of not being allowed to shoot across the road *wink*) and it holed up. Sat for an hour waiting but it never came back out. Probably realized how warm it was inside the hole compared to outside.

Sent from my Ally

·
Registered
19 Posts
Been taking my 17 HMR Ruger Single Six over to the farm, have a couple tunneling under the old house and another building. Shots will be about 20 to 30 yds. Park the truck and wait about 20 mins. they will come back out, haven't had a good clean shot yet but it will come. Using 20gr. HP's.

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Absolutely! Got my first one on Sunday and missed another.
bluedog, this is a response to your other post on shooting steady.

This is my Stoney Point tripod with rifle/pistol arm. I use this for yote hunting and when I use my Contender pistols for deer hunting. The rig is very light weight and so is the stool. All of the yote calls and decoy rabbit fit in the stool's pouch. Got both at Cabela's.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have seen a few so far this year, but not enough for me to go out after them yet. I think they are coming out of their holes and roaming around searching new holes out right now.

·
Registered
638 Posts
I've been seeing them for about a month here in WV. Especially around the interstate.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
5,092 Posts
LOts of hogs on saturday, along the sides of the Pennsy turnpike where they are probably safe from shooting and coyotes probably dont like the traffic noise.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Anyone ever eat a hog. They have to be good. All they eat is vegtables. Im gonna try em if I get one

OutdoorHub Mobile, the information engine of the outdoors

·
Registered
638 Posts
We used to have a guy that would follow us every once an a while and go pick the dead ones out of the field, claiming he was gonna eat them. I've never really been to inclined to have a taste for myself though...

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Im thinkin smoke em with applewood and put some diff. Seasonings on em and maybe some bbq sauce

OutdoorHub Mobile, the information engine of the outdoors

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
Reddogs33, some people think ya need a 300 wm for deer, so a .243 should be perfect for groundhogs. nice pig by the way and shoot them with what ya got.

·
Registered
5,495 Posts
My first try using my camera tripod with a cloth gun rest strapped on top. Must admit that I missed my 1st shot. She went down an old piece of steel pipe and when she stuck her head out for a look-see, I did not miss again. I like the increased stability of the tripod. If I ever need it camo'd, I do have some camo blind material I can use to wrap around the legs. Didn't need it tonight. Oh and it was a female. Absolutely no sign of mammary development. They have not been out and about for very long around here.

Sent from my Ally

·
Registered
48,626 Posts
nothing wrong with some over kill,i used to use a 30/06 on lil runty 75# tx.deer...dropped em in their tracks...243 would have been about perfect for them too...:D

1 - 20 of 86 Posts