Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I went out ground hog hunting to clean up some hunting property. I found some Hornady 30 gr. V-Max ammo for my .22 Mag.
These bullets are awesome! They caused more damage than I ever thought. We ended up with 12 at the end of the day. Here is a few pictures of some we shot.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Very nice!!

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
Great job. And some say the .22 mag is not enough gun for ground hogs.

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
Great job. And some say the .22 mag is not enough gun for ground hogs.
I used to carry a Savage 24 22mag over a 410 '**** hunting. I never had a **** stay in the tree for more than one shot with the 22 mag but have plenty stay up for numerous shots with a 22 LR. 22 mag is more than enough for a whistle pig but not enough for a yote. :biggrin:

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
I used to carry a Savage 24 22mag over a 410 '**** hunting. I never had a **** stay in the tree for more than one shot with the 22 mag but have plenty stay up for numerous shots with a 22 LR. 22 mag is more than enough for a whistle pig but not enough for a yote. :biggrin:
I have wondered if it would be enough for a yote but never asked cause nobody had ever mentioned using one...just figured it wasn't. I guess I know for sure now...lol.

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
I have never shot a yote. But have killed alot of groundhogs with both .22lr and .22mag. Ya just can't reach out to 200 plus yards like a .223 and others.

·
Ohio Sportsman
1,991 Posts
I have never shot a yote. But have killed alot of groundhogs with both .22lr and .22mag. Ya just can't reach out to 200 plus yards like a .223 and others.
They both (.22 and .22 Mag) are capable of killing coyotes within common sense range limits. I have taken many (8-12?) within 100 yards, say an average of 50.? Some have dropped while others ran 20-60? yards before expiring. However, my weapon of choice is the .223 as well. I like the "reach out and touch something" approach....within my ethical limits. :D

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
Some of the groundhogs I shot with both .22LR and .22Mag made it to their hole. I'm sure they never came back out of it. And alot of them took more than one shot to put down from both cals. I shot my first groundhog at 130 yards with a ruger 10/22 using CCI stingers. It took 5 hits before it fell . I never had to shoot one more than one time with a .223, know matter where I hit it.
There is know dought in my mind that you can kill yotes with a .22 LR or a .22 mag . I think the problem would be if you recover it or not. My guess is with good shot placement it would be like just hunt said.

·
Premium Member
3,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Most of my shots were around 100 yards and didn't have any get away.
people need to learn to hit vitals or head shots and not just aim for the whole animal like most do.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I got 11 ground hogs with my Remington vantage pellet gun this year

OutdoorHub Mobile, the information engine of the outdoors.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I hunt **** with a 22lr and my wife uses a 22mag. The mag defiantly does better when you have one in the crotch of a tree but I like the lr cause less damage to your fur.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
225 Posts
I took a groundhog on Friday with a .17 HMR with a CCI TNT hollow-point. It ran off but couldn't make it to its hole about 10 yards away. The shot placement wasn't perfect and I later discovered my scope was a inch off to the right. The round put a big hole at both entry and exit. Next time though I'm going to use the poly-tip Vmax for even more damage.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I took a groundhog on Friday with a .17 HMR with a CCI TNT hollow-point. It ran off but couldn't make it to its hole about 10 yards away. The shot placement wasn't perfect and I later discovered my scope was a inch off to the right. The round put a big hole at both entry and exit. Next time though I'm going to use the poly-tip Vmax for even more damage.
I took another groundhog today using the V-max bullet. It was much more effective and the hog was DRT. Definitely recommend the V-max bullet over the hollow-point. Also, having the scope sighted in perfectly helped :)

·
Premium Member
3,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks!! The number has come to 21 down in this area.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts