Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

Ground Blinds

4K views 20 replies 15 participants last post by  RGJZ06 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
One of the options I am looking at is using a ground blind this September. Typically I like getting up in a tree for the obvious reasons when deer hunting, but my September hunt in Kansas may present the opportunity to use a ground blind. Based on my discussions with the land owner, I get the feeling this may happen on this hunt.

With trees potentially absent on where I may need to set up for an opportunity-this may be my only option so I want to be prepared.

I looked at some blinds over the past few weeks, and I tend to like this one by Barronett (Grounder 250). It's relartively high(easy to get around in)- has many windows all around and has both screened windows and solid windows.

I am looking for a stand that fits the above requirements with height and the ability to see from all sides being a priority. Has anyone used one of these, or does anyone else have any other recomendations on ones that you have used?

See less See more
#4 · (Edited by Moderator)
I hunt strictly off the ground. Blinds are great but try to get them up early because deer do notice them if not blended in well. Try to use some natural foilage or something to break it up.
I mostly use all natural blind though. Unless its going to rain, I find a tree and use some limbs or grasses, and some good scent eliminator.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

#5 ·
Killzone makes a nice blind as well at a reasonable price. You can get on their website to see if you are interested. I bought mine off eBay for $100 with free shipping.

I checked their website and one has my interest. They also ship free along with the price being half off! Thanks-

http://www.killzonehunting.com/hunting-ground-blinds/360-hub-style-ground-blind-by-killzone.html

I hunt strictly off the ground. Blinds are great but try to get them up early because deer do notice them if not blended in well. Try to use some natural foilage or something to break it up.
I mostly use all natural blind though. Unless its going to rain, I find a tree and use some limbs or grasses, and some good scent eliminator.

I have used natural ones on the fly(when needed)- and they worked fairly well. My plan is to get there and get them up as soon as possible after scouting and let them go until later in the hunt. With limited time, that is my only option. The landowner has given me some input so I can save some time, but as any hunt of this nature, you have to improvise as needed.

#6 ·
I don't brush mine in that well and the deer don't mind as long as you have them out several weeks in advance. I take mine out after deer season and put them back up right before turkey season.

#7 ·
I have the same blind and love it. IMO its hard to beat for the price. We put ours out as early as possible too, but I also think it's important to brush it in. While yes, deer begin to get used to it, there is a chance of deer coming thru that have never seen it, especially wheen the shooting starts. We cut branches and corn stalks and whatever we can find and try to blend it in.

Biggest mistake made by first time blind users is getting in and throwing windows open all over. Only open whats necessary to avoid skylighting your movements.

#8 ·
I have the same blind and love it. IMO its hard to beat for the price. We put ours out as early as possible too, but I also think it's important to brush it in. While yes, deer begin to get used to it, there is a chance of deer coming thru that have never seen it, especially wheen the shooting starts. We cut branches and corn stalks and whatever we can find and try to blend it in.

Biggest mistake made by first time blind users is getting in and throwing windows open all over. Only open whats necessary to avoid skylighting your movements.
Yep.

Any chance in the landowner setting up the blind ahead of time for you 56?

#9 ·
John...my best advise about using a blind is to find the most comfortable chair possible and make sure it has good back support. After hunting two days of youth season with my son last year i could barely walk. I used one of those buckets with a swivel seat...huge mistake.

Also in my limited experience, the deer paid no attention to our blind. We did some very...very limited brushing in and had deer all around it with in literally minutes of setting it up. We had an opportunity at a young buck that same evening and my son killed his buck the following morning. The blind was up less than 18 hours total.

#10 ·
Interesting. For those of you who leave them up for months at a time, how long do the blinds last before they begin deteriorating?

I bought a new ground blind to use this season a few months ago. I bought an Ameristep Intimidator 2 blind. I was going to use the Primos waterproofing spray on the top of it.

#12 ·
Interesting. For those of you who leave them up for months at a time, how long do the blinds last before they begin deteriorating?

I bought a new ground blind to use this season a few months ago. I bought an Ameristep Intimidator 2 blind. I was going to use the Primos waterproofing spray on the top of it.
I am going on year three for mine (brickhouse). I take them out in Feb when we sometimes get ice storms and then put them back in in mid April.

#14 ·
I use Primos Vision blind. They are the best blinds I have used. Check them out, lots of options.

#15 ·
I am retiring my gear guide blind from sportsmansguide.com this year after 4 years and it has been in woods that long and i only paid $45 shipped. During turkey season the zippers took a crap so its done but I just bought a 2/3 person hub style from tsc over the weekend its more or less a brick house but a lil bigger ill put it out in a few weeks

#16 ·
Anybody ever look into the Ameristep brand blinds? They are pretty cheap

OutdoorHub Mobile, the information engine of the outdoors[/QU I have an Ameristep G3 blind. I bought it this spring and it was in the woods 6 weeks or so for turkey. It is roomy enough for 2 people. I paid right around 100.00 for it at Gander Mtn. Really can't speak for the durability since I haven't had it for that long.
sam-r261 UP.Browser/6.2.3.8 (GUI) MMP/2.0

#17 ·

OutdoorHub Mobile, the information engine of the outdoors[/QU I have an Ameristep G3 blind. I bought it this spring and it was in the woods 6 weeks or so for turkey. It is roomy enough for 2 people. I paid right around 100.00 for it at Gander Mtn. Really can't speak for the durability since I haven't had it for that long.
Grandpas got.one that is older and just put it in the woods last year. It stayed all winter long and is still good. Only payed like 70 or 80 bucks

OutdoorHub Mobile, the information engine of the outdoors

#18 ·

I have an Ameristep Carnivore blind. It's well made with shoot through windows and a floor to ceiling door to enter and exit or leave it open and shoot out of it. The camo is life like and blends in pretty well. It comes with a pack to put it in with straps to carry it into the field. It's a hub design so it's easy up and down. You can put it up by yourself in just a few seconds. It has a smell to it when it's brand new so you will have to air it out before going hunting with it. It also has a floor attached to the sides to keep the critters out.

RGJZ06

#19 ·
Mine doesnt have a floor. It is easy to set up by myselfand has the bag with backpack straps. I do plan on using it for deer in a big thicket that bucks love to cruise during rut.

#20 ·
I use Primos Vision blind. They are the best blinds I have used. Check them out, lots of options.
70" standing height and 360 degrees vision- this one fits the bill too.

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p...11264995&003=3934892&camp=CSE:Nextag:12149484

Buy the killzone. The 250 is 6" shorter and I had to send mine back. My bow hit the roof. The killzone is 6" taller. You can get it for 99.00 free shipping on killzone. Com
Right now it looks like I will at least buy one to try- the Primos one has my interest too.

John...my best advise about using a blind is to find the most comfortable chair possible and make sure it has good back support. After hunting two days of youth season with my son last year i could barely walk. I used one of those buckets with a swivel seat...huge mistake.

Also in my limited experience, the deer paid no attention to our blind. We did some very...very limited brushing in and had deer all around it with in literally minutes of setting it up. We had an opportunity at a young buck that same evening and my son killed his buck the following morning. The blind was up less than 18 hours total.
Thanks Scott-

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.