Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
1,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just wanted to share what was a great deer season for my son and I . Was gonna share earlier but kinda held off since I'm a occasional contributer.

Although I killed first I'll start with my son. I'm very proud of his patience both at passing deer and keeping his composure to make good shots . I let him decide what he wants to shoot and honestly he kinda had me scratching my head this year a couple times when he passed deer I couldn't of passed at his age . Heck, any deer was fair game for me at 13 .
We hunted about 15 times from Oct 24- Nov 19th when he killed this buck . He had a couple close calls with nice deer . We mostly hunted Turkey style sitting on the ground with a crossbow . He shot his deer during youth gun with a 350 legend at about 35 yds . It was actually his first deer with a gun as normally he has killed his buck with a crossbow.. This deer was killed on a small property about 20 minutes from our house . He actually killed his first deer on this property when he was 8 yrs old.
Trophy hunting Hunting Deer hunting Snow Elk

Hunting Plant Vertebrate Tree Trophy hunting

Plant Carnivore Snow Fawn Terrestrial animal

· Registered
1,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The deer I killed was a deer that I actually passed the year before as a 3 yr old . He was a homebody so I had high hopes he'd stick around . Luckily he did and he added alot from last yr . He was the only deer I planned to hunt this yr and somehow it worked out . I shot him the evening of Oct 26 at last light as he exited his bedding area . I was in a stand about 100-200 yds from where he bedded . This was a small property but this deer was more predictable than any other big deer I've gotten to chase. It was my 8th sit for him . I'd had him in range two other times after legal time . He started as a 15 pt but broke two points a week before I killed him .
Vertebrate Deer Organism Elk Mammal

Alot of luck involved but sometimes you have good luck instead of bad . There is much more to this story from start to evd . But I doubt y'all wanna hear it . Plus it's alot to type on a phone . I can elaborate later if anyone wants .
Plant Deer Tree Flash photography Fawn

Elk Deer Plant Organism Tree

Deer hunting Hunting Trophy hunting Deer Barren ground Caribou

· Ohio Sportsman
2,069 Posts
Congrats to you both for exceptional bucks! Also, thanks for sharing the pictures.:cool:

· Registered
1,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Lots of meals in the freezer off those ones. congrats! What part of the state are you hunting?
We're kinda on the edge of NE Ohio bordering central Ohio . There's nice deer around, like everywhere else . But low deer density on the properties we hunt . Not necessarily a bad thing as long as you can find a deer to target as you have less noses and eyes to beat . Here is a pic of my son's deer last yr . Once again super proud of his patience as well as his ability to stay calm and make a good shot .
Eye Hunting Elk Human body Jaw

1 - 11 of 11 Posts