Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
I was going to head to the Rocky, the conditions there were shaping up nicely. At the last minute, I decided to head east. The water would be higher, but hopefully less crowded. Good thing I changed plans, the rain fell on the Rocky starting around 7am, and it blew out shortly after. I barely felt a drop.

It took me awhile to find fish, but when I did, I was on them. The size was excellent, I think I landed my longest steelhead. He has to be 32+.

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
Thanks guys! I hate to say it since recent events have SEVERELY curtailed my fishing opportunities, but the conditions I found were suggesting that the run is way ahead of schedule. Afternoon water temps were over 60. The fish were a mix of fresh and tired. I started the morning at a spot that I usually fish early in the run and have one good day there around the 3d week of March. After that, I pick up a fish or two. I hadn't had a good day there yet this year. So having only caught a single fish by noon, I moved to my "peak run" spot. The fish were there. That spot is usually hopping around the first two weeks in April. I think if you can get out, sooner is better than later.

·
Premium Member
3,950 Posts
Yeah if this warm weather keeps up we'll be done by middle of April. I'm betting fish are stacked up waiting for the next good rain and any new fish after that will be minimal.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.