Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Connected with this guy the other day. Really nice bird ... 22 lbs, 11in beard, and 1-1/2 in spurs! Had him answer calls a couple hundred yards away in wide open So Ohio rolling pasture land. Closed the distance between us down to a single deep drainage and maybe 75 yds across as the crow flies across. No way was he going to leave his strut zone - wide open grassy top - he hung up there strutting and gobbling wanting me to come to him of course. Leave him for another day? No. We decided I would put a sneak on ... crawled down the drainage super slow and carefully sliding and scooting on my butt under the brush and staying unseen to drop out of his sight. Crossed the creek and started low-crawling up the other side towards the top where he was strutting now. Zero cover, nothing but 12 inch wet grass all around for a hundred yards in all directions now. As I approached the top I would shoulder my gun and slowly stand ready to shoot. 1st time nothing ... 10 more yards of crawling ... 2nd time nothing ... 10 more yards ... 3rd time I see the top of his fan, not high enough yet ... Last 10 yds ... I stand, he drops strut and periscopes that head up - not the hen he was expecting - BLAM! Love getting aggressive hunting for these guys! My buddy watched the whole thing unfold from the other side, he couldn't believe I pulled it off. Memorable hunt for sure.

Only my 4th time out this season (work and kids hockey!). My God it's green out there! Full summer foilage everywhere. Hens are on eggs for sure - at least where I was. Anyway, I hope to get out again - still time to get a second bird!

Also, a shout out to whoever posted about that Sawyers Bug wash for clothes. No ticks yet for me. I'm a believer.

·
Registered
18 Posts
the mohican sneek is much more fun and elite than calling em in...congrats on a fantastic bird!!! been there done that and it is by far memorable!!
:whistle:

·
Registered
577 Posts
Beautiful bird! I have used the LPR (Low Profile Relocation) before.. it'll wear you out but it works! Lets see some spurs!

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here's the fan, beard, and spurs for you hook fans out there. Turns out they are 1-1/4" and 1-3/8". Beard 11". Now stash this thing in a safe place for a few weeks and I'll get it put together!

The only harvest pic I have that shows spurs

·
Registered
5,497 Posts
I love stories of a good sneak! Congratulations on a turkey well earned! Beautiful fan on that bird too! :D

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I know I should have been out there this last weekend. Too hot for me though, and not really wanting to burn a whole tank of gas driving down south I decided to put this thing together instead. Turned out nice I think.

Till next spring everyone ... unless some unfortunate bird wanders too close to my treestand this fall!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts