Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

Got a John today...

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  pstryjew 
#1 ·
I came home today and my neighbor said to come on over, so I did and he gave me an old John boat. 10', beat up a bit, no markings of any kind that I could find on it. Said he got it off a farmer for free a few years back and it's just sat behind the barn since, so he gave it to me. I searched around for a bit on the ODNR website trying to find out if I need a sticker or anything for it. From what I can tell, I don't. It's under 14' and doesn't have a motor, is this accurate? I do have a 60's model old small outboard, but I would consider that removable and not "fixed" to the boat. I don't care if it needs registered and stickers, I just want to know before I do something with it.

The place I want to hunt tomorrow, if I take a big one, the boat would be the perfect way to get it out. Thats why I'm asking.

#2 · (Edited by Moderator)
You need to call the Division of Watercraft.

You'll need to get it registered. Canoes and kayaks have to be registered, I'm sure a jonboat will. Adding a motor (electric or gas) bumps it to a different category.

You do not need a title, but you need to be registered (numbers and stickers)

Watercraft Registration

Registrations are required for every recreational boat in Ohio, including powerboats, sailboats, canoes, kayaks, pedal boats, and inflatable boats.*

ORC 1547.531

Call: 877-4BOATER

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.