Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone ever have a golden retriever as a duck dog? I have been attempting to train my golden pup (First attempt at training a bird dog) and she's really into it. I truly feel like she could be a great bird dog. My only concern is her hair getting everything known to man stuck in it in the woods. Anyone have any suggestions or thoughts on this?

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
I have a 4 yr old lab and the best thing i did was consult a pro trainer for help, it was my first hunting dog and i've learned there are right and wrong ways of training.....theres some good books out there (dokken, water dog), internet videos....one tip I picked up was using a cap gun in combination with small treats at an early age to help with gun noise.
patience!!!!!!!!! and good luck...having a hunting dog has changed our whole family life......
and you gotta post pics!!

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
I'm thinking most of us have suggestions and thoughts on your pup. Depending on the pup's lineage, its instincts will be up to the task as a retriever on land or in the water. The bigger question is, will you be?

More often than not, amateur handlers (oop, LDH just popped up, above, and wrote some good advice that I was going to mention.)

Anyway, my experience is with Spaniels, another full-coated breed. I finally figured out after number three that they instinctively knew more about their lot in life than did I. I had to train myself to recognize what they could do well and capitalize on those traits. They did not disappoint.

I suggest you learn to groom correctly both before the field and after. Get the right tools. Do it yourself. Make it enjoyable for both of you.

Invest in good health care. Keep the weight in check. Make it all fun and stop when it isn't. Like is mentioned above, patience produces performance.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Yea...good points on grooming blackcat....my dog is a short-haired, so we vacuum twice a day......but he doesn't get much stuck in him....Goldens are very nice dogs....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I’ve actually been using water dog and then Duck Dog Basics from Chris Akin and they’ve been immensely helpful. She’s around 10 months old and she’s a handful. I know she’s up for the task, I know all the pressure is on me to do her justice on the training. We started with a cap gun at distance while playing fetch with her around 5-6 months, moved on to a 22. Haven’t gone over that yet but she’s at the point where when she hears a .22, she gets excited. The biggest issue I have is often simple obedience, she’s about as stubborn as her mother hahaha. Ive been toying with the idea of trying to find a professional trainer nearby but have only started looking recently. She’s going to be sitting this season out all together more than likely, I’m not trying to throw her to the wolves and also don’t want to overwhelm her. Another concern of mine is she’s without a doubt the smallest from her litter. At 10 months, she’s 50 lbs. At the end of the day though, she’s already the best dog I’ve ever owned.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Anyone ever have a golden retriever as a duck dog? I have been attempting to train my golden pup (First attempt at training a bird dog) and she's really into it. I truly feel like she could be a great bird dog. My only concern is her hair getting everything known to man stuck in it in the woods. Anyone have any suggestions or thoughts on this?
No

What is the name of the lass?

Cowboy Magic is the go-to for help in removing burrs from dog hair....I did have one GSP but a preference for setters, english and gordons, has me understanding burr removal.
While ducking may not be as odds-on burr-filled as pheasants, fields and cockleburrs, you might consider a trip to the feed store.

Burdock are soft and a good strong comb is handy, scissors for the tough ones.
For the hard cockle burr, I often find that mashing the burr with pliers allows easier removal.
Other burrs can be handled as well.
Trim trouble areas that attract burrs, especially around pads and near the wedding vegetables.

Best tool, ime, is normally called a mat buster....6" long, comb-like with 90degree offset curved and very sharp blades. Comb thru...mat or burr busted....I would never be w/o one or the xtra blades available.
Any dog outlet like GunDog Supply or Lion Country, to name two, should have them.

Do not neglect ticks....Seresto collars are your friend...Sawyer treatment for your clothes as training, etc. will have you and pup out in other than cold ducking weather.

No reason a golden can not do the work for a normally-involved upland or waterfowl hunter...just learn to read and judge for them since dogs normally are stuck on go.

My Gordon is an inside dog, as he was obtained as a pup vs a washout.
I could not begin to care less about dog hair in the house, nor does the wife care....the tradeoffs of pup trump any fretting over shoveling up dog hair.

Dog Sky Food Dog breed Carnivore

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
I’ve actually been using water dog and then Duck Dog Basics from Chris Akin and they’ve been immensely helpful.
You can't learn too much.

She’s around 10 months old and she’s a handful.
Socialize to the point of excessiveness.

I know all the pressure is on me to do her justice on the training.
Knowing that puts you light-years ahead of most amateur handlers.

We started with a cap gun at distance while playing fetch with her around 5-6 months, moved on to a 22.
Loud noises and socializing are important. Did I mention how important socializing is?

Haven’t gone over that yet but she’s at the point where when she hears a .22, she gets excited.
Just wait. Someday she will get excited just hearing you put on your hunting socks.

The biggest issue I have is often simple obedience, she’s about as stubborn as her mother hahaha.
It's all about developing those instincts that Mother Nature gives all living things. She comes from a line that for over the past bazillion years was all about the pack. Now she finds herself in your pack and is trying to figure out where exactly she fits in. The only two things that work in teaching obedience are: (1) consistency; and, (2) consistency. Did I mention consistency?

Aside: Be careful with the mother jokes. If you're referring to SWMBO, then count your blessings that your pup is part of your home.

Ive been toying with the idea of trying to find a professional trainer nearby but have only started looking recently.
I've never used one, but I feel in doing so you may be looking for a shortcut, as in you don't feel capable of the task at hand, or that you're impatient. There are no shortcuts in training your dog. And impatience will only get you a poorly performing dog quicker.

She’s going to be sitting this season out all together more than likely, I’m not trying to throw her to the wolves and also don’t want to overwhelm her.
I would advise against skipping a season. Mother Nature is only going to give you but a few great seasons and personally, I wouldn't want to miss a single one, good is good enough on the front end and the tail end of your relationship with her.

As an alternative, I suggest that you dial back your expectations this season, concentrate on consistency and sociability, and enjoy the moment. I can almost guarantee you'll do exactly that when the time comes at the other end of her seasons. Nope, I wouldn't miss a single one.

Another concern of mine is she’s without a doubt the smallest from her litter. At 10 months, she’s 50 lbs.
Count your blessings.

At the end of the day though, she’s already the best dog I’ve ever owned.
Again, just my opinion, but I would guess your BGD is training you a lot better than you're training her. Ha!

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Agreed blackcat on the season skipping...bring the pup and understand the dog takes precedent over shooting......as for trainers....I work with my trainer weekly and I learn as much as the dog does....Thornton seems to be in the know on detailing information, so that should help you....everyone loves dogs!!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts