Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
and need some info :D Right now....I am planning on using 158gr 357 mag Blazer ammo for self defense. Handgun shooting these pretty well. But for plinking and target shooting...like to find a "mild" 357mag load and looking at cast bullets.
Already bought my dies and cases so about ready to go. I am a little concerned about a leading problem using cast bullets. Is this a pretty strong issue when using cast bullets....I no experience at all using cast bullet....
Also what would be the best powders to use when loading cast...
Thanks....

·
Registered
293 Posts
Make sure that you use the proper crimp for your cartridges. 357 is a fairly hot load and you don't want your bullets working there way out and locking up the cylinder.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Just a tip,

For self defense loads, you are probably best to use store bought ammo.

Whether it commonly occurs or not, my instructor told us of defense cases he had seen where overzealous prosecutors tried to paint the guy who defended himself using reloads, as a nutjob who "made his own bullets extra deadly" and juries bought it and convicted.

The thinking person knows that it does not make a difference, but there are too many non-thinkers in this country that might buy that argument.

He suggested as the best option, to find out a few ammo brands that law enforcement in your area use and pick one of those. Then if the case ever came up as to the ammo you used in a defense case, you can say you used exactly what the police use to stop threats and nothing deadlier.

He said more then likely though, you would be fine with any major brand of self defense ammo.

·
Registered
5,092 Posts
For mild loads, I simply shoot lead 38's.

Also do inspect any cases loaded with lead bullets to make sure your not "shaving lead".

I would not use blazer ammo for self defense. Obviously blazer "brass" is not reloadable.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts