Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't been able to get out yet because of work, but I've gone out with a crow call and a mouth call trying to get a gobble a couple times after I got off and nothing. The landowner said yesterday afternoon they were gobbling their heads off at a group of crows.

Any suggestions on what I should do?

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
What time do you get off work? The area that you want to hunt, are there birds there? The toms like to gobble at first light when the crows start cawwing. They might gobble a little, maybe a lot. If your timing has you miss it things can be challenging.

One big thing I have learned (pay attention) if the toms are with hens, the hens usually leave them around 09:30 - 10:30. The toms will start up again and the ones that do mean business. So if nothing happens for me at first light I get ready for the mid morning start up. This has proven successful for me many times. If working with a buddy and one bird is taken early don't give up and leave. Wait for mid morming.

I have taken goblers that have turned on just before noon. Sometimes you have to play it out till the end.

I just love the ones that turn on at 12:15 as I am leaving the woods. I yell at them, "tomorrow's another day ya bastage"!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What time is a good time to try and roost one at night?

·
Super Moderator
1,408 Posts
I like to go out 1-1/2 before dark get to a high spot and listen for them to fly up

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Pay attention to the crows. Many times they are your "eye-in-the-sky" and will follow turkey, giving you a heads up.

I agree with FredT. Mid to late morning is prime time, and I'm sure gobblers wear a watch and know when noon is!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Went out tonight at about 715 and walked to the back of the property and got nothing on the crow call. I decided to try my box call and got one to gobble pretty far off he ended up coming in to about 40 yards. I stopped calling and he lost interest and ended up roosting about 200yards away. After it got a little darker I hit an owl call and he gobbled. After that he wouldn't stop.

Going out in the morning to hopefully get him.

·
5,039 Posts
Well.....................

1 - 9 of 9 Posts