Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

Frustrated with residency requirements

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Lmbhngr 
#1 ·
I moved to Ohio in early December, after some successful PA deer hunting. I sure would like to turkey hunt this spring, but not enough to pay $125 for the privilege. I have permission in PA to hunt there, but by the time I drive back and rent a hotel room before each turkey hunt, it's probably cheaper to buy the non-res Ohio license. It would be nice to maybe get a discount on the non-res license with an Ohio resident drivers license or maybe have the option to renounce the PA res license to buy an Ohio res license. I'm just looking to hunt in my own state.

#4 ·
I'm sure people were abusing the previous rules. Getting a new driver's license is a hassle anyway, so don't know how people were gaming the system (changing DLs isn't practical). But stupid people = stupid rules.

I think even being a land owner, you might have to buy a non-resident license if you don't live here.

#6 ·
Lmbhngr - Don't know if that was for me.

Really

From ORC 1533.10:
A resident of any other state who owns real property in this state, and the spouse and children living with the property owner, may hunt on that property without a license, provided that the state of residence of the real property owner allows residents of this state owning real property in that state, and the spouse and children living with the property owner, to hunt without a license.

From ORC 1533.01
(B) "Resident" means any individual who has resided in this state for not less than six months next preceding the date of making application for a license.

If I hunt my OOS property, I need to buy non-resident licenses and tags for "large game". In fact, separate licenses for deer gun and archery. So a resident of that state would NOT be able to hunt without a license in Ohio, even on property they own.

ORC in section 1533.10 goes on to talk about LLCs and such.

NMH - Nodding my head

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.