Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner
41 - 60 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
847 Posts
A doe bedded by my stand when I walked in, one dink buck, and one small one as I pulled cards. That's it. My cameras were SLOW since Wednesday BUT it appears my doe family groups have been broken up. I think we're getting close.

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
I was hopeful to do at least one dark to dark sit this weekend. As the work week progressed, it looked like Sunday would be the day. 50% or better all day rain on Saturday with gradually decreasing chances on Sunday was the forecast when I went to bed Friday night. I woke up Saturday morning to totally dry conditions and NO rain the forecast until evening. 🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️ AND increased chance for rain on Sunday. 🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️ I was not a happy camper about the weather forecast. There was no way to make it back to my spot that I wanted to sit with a predicted east wind by daylight so I had a leisurely breakfast. I decided to go back and hunt around midmorning and when it quit being fun I would go home.

I got set up in my spot at 10am and ended up sitting there until dark. 😊 There were LOTS of squirrels and chipmunks running around to keep me entertained. I grunted short little grunts periodically through the day (Maybe every 2 hours and bit more frequent toward the end of the day). I did 2 rattling sequences during the day.

I ended up seeing 2 deer. First one was a button buck that appeared in the bean field from who knows where at 4:40pm. He ended up working to the edge of the field about 60 yards away and browsed for about 20 minutes before meandering into the woods.

The second deer was a bit interesting. I had done 4 short grunts at 5:15pm and then sat quiet. At 6pm with the heavy cloud cover and occasional drizzle, I decided to try grunting one more time. Again 4 short grunts. Immediately I heard crashing behind me. A buck that had likely been staging leapt into the bean field. I don't think he was more than 50 yards behind me. It was a very nice 8 pointer. He bounded about 150 yards across the corner of the field to the woods edge and stopped. He was looking away and I grunted twice. He snapped his head back to look and I was quiet. He wanted no part of that and trotted off to the woods away from me. I sat until it got too dark to see much (about another 30 minutes) and never saw another deer.

My spot. You can't tell from the picture but there is a 15 yard trail just to the right of the picture. That trail cuts between bedding and the bean field and is the spot where I shot my crossbow doe in 2019.
Camouflage Military camouflage Sky Plant Shooter game

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
Rained off and on most of the morning so I stayed home and made a pumpkin pie. 😊 Made it out to my spot by the pond from 4pm until dark. Saw 2 deer both on the opposite side of the pond. A button buck at 5pm and a yearling buck (I think) at 6:45pm. It was very dark and hard to see by then.

My spot.
Tire Wheel Plant Plant community Sky

A nice sunset.
Cloud Sky Atmosphere Plant Natural landscape

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
I got set up this morning about 20 minutes before legal shooting time (running late as usual). I went to the cut across between our two fields as I already had a ground spot set up and the wind and approach would be perfect. It was a spectacularly beautiful morning. A red-tailed hawk landed in a hickory tree 30 yards in front of me and spent the next 45 minutes sitting there in spite of periodic complaints from blue jays and squirrels. A hen turkey and 2 mostly grown poults passed by at 25 yards. No deer seen. Yet. I could only hunt until noon because I had physical therapy in the afternoon and I like to visit my neighbor in the nursing home on Mondays.

At 10am I had seen no deer. I had lost my grunt call and was really missing it. I was pretty sure I had probably left it where I hunted on Saturday. That spot was about 270 yards away straight across the back edge of one of the bean fields. I got up and walked over to my Saturday spot and found my grunt call. I decided to do some sprucing up of my ground blind while I was there and also moved some larger branches to the fenceline behind my ground blind to make a better back drop. I probably spent about 20-30 minutes moving branches around.

Then I walked back along the edge of the bean field over to today's morning spot. I spent about 15 minutes adding a bit more cover to this spot and then packed up. I was going to leave all my gear there and walk over to swap a trail cam card on a different field. When I stepped out in the open there was a deer in the field down by my Saturday spot where I had just been moving branches around. I hustled back into cover and had to fish my binoculars out of my pack. When I finally stood back up and looked, the deer was a nice tall racked mature buck. I tried grunting and rattling as loud as I could (it was windy) but he never looked my way. He was staring intently into the woods. Eventually he bounded back into the woods. I don't think he could hear me because he was directly up wind of me and 250+ yards away. I sat down for 30 minutes just in case someone else heard the racket I made rattling but nothing came by.

I left at 11:30 a.m. to go swap the trail cam card and then walk home.

Oh and this guy was in front of the trail cam, 280 yards from where I was hunting this morning. Deer hunting is stupid. ;):D

Cloud Sky Plant Natural environment Tree

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Got out after work on a public spot close to home. Had a little buck chasing two doe around right after I got up. The doe didn't seem to bothered by him and kinda waited for him to catch up. I knew it would be a good night. Half hour before dark I had this eight come in grunting away. I let him have it. My forth public buck.
Head Trophy hunting Hunting Deer hunting Fawn

Attachments

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Saw a broke up 8 and 10 does this morning . Bumped my target deer while walking out at 1230 . Was hoping to sit all day today but I killed my first Halloween buck yesterday with my 2021 Silverado and needed to send pics to my insurance .

Hunted a easy spot tonight where two shooters were chasing does last night .
Almost killed a 136-140" 8 point tonight . Just too thick . Saw two other small bucks tonight .
Plant Grass Fawn Groundcover Terrestrial animal

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Slow start this morning and I was about to head home when he came along to check on a couple of yearlings so I put an arrow in him. Not the one I thought it was but he's my second bow buck so I'll take it. Saw two bucks and 3 does.
Wow, that is a nice deer. Congratulations to you.

Reactions: SWOhio hunter

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Saw 12 does abd 3 small bucks this morning. Had deer around me till about 10 then it died . Got down at noon to go check a couple cams on other properties .
Had plans to hunt elsewhere but when I got to the truck the landowner who lets me park to get access to this spot told me he saw a really big buck coming towards me this morning . It messed around but veered off about 100 yds from me and went on the other side of the little ridge I'm on.

So seeing as how I saw so many she deers this morning and there was a big deer in the area I came back to the same spot . Didn't get settled in till 3 .

Git a couple does browsing down below me already .

41 - 60 of 89 Posts