close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

From the squirrel woods 2012

Discussion in 'Ohio Small Game Hunting' started by bluedog, Sep 17, 2012.

1. First outing of the season. Finally. 20 minutes in. Less than 10 yard shot. A young fox squirrel is first into the bag. What a gorgeous sunny morning out here.

Sent from my SCH-I405

Attached Files:

2. Nice,keep up the good work and enjoy the day.

RGJZ06

3. Nimrod

Nimrod Staff Member Super Mod Mod

Glad to see your back at it BD! I'm having a bad start. I've been out about 4 times now, and only have brought 4 home. :nono: I blame the rifle. :whistle: ;)

4. Well one was all I got. Stayed out another hour and a half but only saw a couple small red squirrels. Have some things I have to get done this afternoon. Might try to go back out this evening but that is a big maybe.

Sent from my SCH-I405

5. I have been out of town and it's been a whole week since I've been in the woods. But I'm out now. First squirrel in the bag. Let's see if I can get more than one this time. Another gorgeous sunny morning.

Sent from my SCH-I405

6. My son got his first squirrels yesterday. We had a good afternoon. 6 in 4.5 hours.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Attached Files:

7. I went out for my first time on Saturday. Only had one shot but made it count. Cooked him up last night in a variation of a german rabbit stew - fantastic!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. I need that recipe!! Looks good.

9. It was!

Here's the recipe:

http://honest-food.net/2012/09/10/german-rabbit-stew/

I pretty much just swapped out the rabbit for squirrel and because I only had one I pared it down a bit as far as amounts. And I took his advice and after cooking the meat for 90 minutes I pulled it out and scraped all the meat off the bones and put it back in. Really quite easy and completely delicious. I recommend everything on his site as well. Not that complicated but different recipes covering almost every type of game.

10. I am loving all the stories and pictures. And oh boy oh boy a new recipe site to look through!

I ended up with 3 this morning, 2 fox and 1 grey. The grey was a big boy and the fox squirrels were a little younger so they all were about the same size. Anyway it was fun getting out in the woods. Really need to start my blog up for the season. Maybe later.

[​IMG]

11. Nice shootin:thumbs_up:

12. Nimrod

Nimrod Staff Member Super Mod Mod

:yeahthat:

Good job again B-dog! My last hunt was on public land (Lake Logan). Got in abit late but saw 4 and shot 2. My friend said there were fox squirrels in the area, but I only saw the greys. I was in Michigan Tuesday on business. On my lunch I walked down a stream bank and saw the biggest very nice looking Black (grey) squirrel. We don't have them here in Southern Ohio. I'd love to hunt them suckers!

13. Nice report, and that stew looks excellent! I eat a lot of wild meat when my wife is travelling and noticed last weekend that, excluding fish, I'm down to one package of jerky meat, one stick of venison summer sausage and one package of pheasant legs and thighs. May have to slip out between deer hunts this weekend and try to bag a couple squirrels.

14. Geez I haven't been hunting since September 24th. That must be some kind of infraction. Well I'm out here now under an oak tree with the 20ga. Another beautiful sunny morning. Finally feels like fall out here.
    Sent from my SCH-I405

15. So Jealous! ...I have been out a few time this year and haven't gotten anything yet. Bummer...I know! I can't wait till Sunday when I can actually get out again!

16. Cooked up the first 5 squirrels of the season. Today for lunch I enjoyed a wrap sandwich with squirrel meat with some homemade slaw dressing and pepper jack cheese. I have not been able to get out much but after tomorrow I will have a little more free time. And the weather forecast? Rain and wind for the next bazillion days. Ok slight exaggeration. Still I am hoping for a few weather breaks because I have no more squirrels in my freezer. Love eating them squirrels!

Sent from my SCH-I405

17. Hello newbie here joined from the indiana page lets face its you can never be on to many hunting sites.

Anyway anyone wanna share recipes i do the cooking and would like to find some. I usually go with a friend and give him the meat. But would like to cook it myself and try. Thanks and sorry for the long post

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

18. A few suggestions in this thread from the wild game recipe section:

Squirrel

19. The squirrel woods is looking a lot like the inside of my house right about now and I don't see any squirrels. :irked:

We've had 2 days in a row of rain and wind gusting over 20mph. I dumped 1.9 inches of rain from the rain gauge yesterday morning and 1.25 inches out this morning. Kind of in a lull right now (meaning it is still raining, but the wind is light), but things are supposed to deteriorate this afternoon.

With luck this should all pull out by the end of the week for rabbit season opener. By then I might have to look around for little tiny arks with rabbits on them in order to find any.

Did someone say drought? :cheeky-smiley-022:

20. Took a vacation day and will be spending the whole morning in the woods. Don't know if I will shoot anything but have the squirrel rifle with me just in case. The sun is shining for the first time in over a week.

Sent from my SCH-I405