Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With over 35 years of Turkey hunting peoples lack of personal safety amazes me. This morning hunting a popular state ground had a response to my calls it was yelping and clucking back to me. After 10 minutes the hen had yet to move any at all so I cut and cut hard the response sounds like a t model trying to start. Know it’s another hunter now so I Bob White him twice and head down the ridge away from him. We move about a 1/4 to a 1/2 mile and get a brash yelp response to my call sounds like a Jake have my buddy set up real quick and get ready. Now we have some gobbles answering me, I see white shaking out about 60-70 yards. I just know my buddy is going to score. We see some movement in that direction just can’t make out what it was, now I see something red out about 80 yards pull up the glasses and see that it’s orange ribbons but don’t remember seeing them as we came in from that way. It hits me like a ton a bricks and tell my buddy to drop his gun as 2 men and a boy March down the trail towards us. He is using a box call that was covered in white chalk and they have orange ribbons tied to their vest yet at a distance they look red. I bob white them again they keep coming I bob white again and they now call again so I jump up and they go Oooo a hunter and head the other way.

I feel very fortunate that it was us instead of some of the less experienced hunters who would have blasted that white box call without a thought along with a leg and possibly a kid.

I don’t know what it is going to take to teach some of these people how to be safe, Turkey hunting is the most dangerous hunting there is, so please get with an experienced Turkey hunter for your first year or two and if you do go out you might want to get your feet wet at smaller less popular hunting grounds.

Or maybe we should require a Turkey hunting safety course not something I would normally say but man I just don’t want to see anybody get hurt.

·
Premium Member
2,611 Posts
A quail hahaha

Reactions: schwartzj
1 - 3 of 3 Posts