close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Float trapping rats??

Discussion in 'Ohio Trapping and Varmint Hunting' started by Muzzy125, Sep 16, 2012.

1. I have rats in the creek behind my house but cant find their dens....Would float traps work.....I try setting traps on banks where I see that the go up and find....And pictures of them or if they work in fall or spring....I never used them just wanting some info...

2. floats can work , or try building up an "island" of rocks or concrete blocks , then cover with moss or grass ,set your trap,cover ,lure up or not, whatever works!!

3. pocket sets baited with corn. they will take the rats along with coon and mink. a couple pockets spaced about 75 yards apart from each other and so on.

4. Make you a pocket set or something they will climb on, then place trap in the water as they climb up and have to put their feet down to climb right in the pan. I use a waterproof lure to draw them in. You can make it by melting down a large container of vaseoline and putting in from a candy store apple oil and anise oil. Then get 35 mm film containers(which camera places wil give ya for free). Pour the melted vaseoline into the film containers to about 3/4 from the top. Enough room to put the lid on. This lure will be strong and sweet smelling. just dip a stick in it and place it in the back of a pocket set, but make sure you make the set into a drowner, due to coons love this lure too.