Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner
41 - 60 of 61 Posts
Ray

We left from Moundwood and went over to Blackhawke, no problems, found several of the dredge runs, at least that's what they looked like on the screen, got into trouble when we went over to Dream bridge came in on the backside Wow two foot deep no matter where we went, caught several stumps there, hit a bunch when we left Dream and headed back to Moundwood, knew the lake from several years ago but at night everything looks the same so manuvered around using the GPS, we ended up fishing all around Blackehawk for the biggest part of two days during the tournament, really thought the cats would roll into there, as the bait was very plentyful, we fished mainly at night, gets rather crazy out there during the daylight hours.

I'm not sure if we are going to be back up there in 2003, boat sits deep into the water when it's loaded down for a tournament, as we carry a 30 Gallon Shad well that's on the back along with a big 40 gallon tank of fuel and two 32 gallon livewells full of water, Lynn and I like to move around alot and get the aggresive biters, and I haven't got much experience on it at night............Doc

RRbski

Yep you got them now, bob, there's that pretty daughter of yours again. looks good, try going in and just delete that other posting.........Doc

Tha's something that dosen't happen, my daughters never get on the boat? Huh might be beacuse of the fish I catch, everybody is sacred of Catfish.

Hey, what's the deepest part there at Buckeye, I've only marked 14 foot deep and that is right there at Cranberry marsh the no-wake zone, I would like to try around Liebs island as it looks like a real fishy spot on the map, but not sure about that towpath area, good rocks, that lake is loaded with Shad and a bunch of juvenile cats but have never caught anything big out of it, but each year they rank that lake as one of the top five catfish lake in the state.........Doc

liebs island

hey doc,that might be a good place to try,especially at the mouth of the feeder during/after a good hard rain.when the feedrer gets up and running they run up there thick.the best cats i've caught at buckeye have come from the creek under those conditions.size average for buckeye isn't that great,but numbers are there.not to say there aren't some nice fish but i have caught my best numbers of decent ones in the creek,from the bank(as many as 25 in a couple hours)up to 8-10 pounds.the towpath aound sellers point should be decent.i don't target the cats there too much,except for the rare mess of eaters or if other things are slow and i want some good fast action on the smaller ones.between journal island and the south shore can be hot,with 2-4 FOW there.not only for cats,but wipers early spring before they make their run.

Thanks again Doc....

Didn't see Rick's post prior to posting mine...good info Rick.

Most of the channel cats in BL are tiddlers...I've never really targetted them but have caught lots of incidentals when fishing for carp or when fishing live minnows on a jig for saugeye and wipers. Having said that....I know of a couple dedicated BL catters that catch 8 - 10 lbrs on a regular basis but, they're tight lipped :) On the other hand...I know 2 flatheaders that regularly catch 20 - 30 lb flatheads with an occasional 40...I've also seen pics at the warden station of "recent" shockings showing some much bigger. They're also tightlipped....I can say "boathouses" are great cover in a "low structure" lake like BL. ;) One of the guys drift fishes for flats....lipped chub...no weight....casts a pretty good distance from the boat and just lets the breeze take him.

You're right about the Cranberry hole...that's the deepest...there's some other 10 - 12' holes on the east end of the lake as well....some nice rock croppings (humps) too just east of cranberry.

Using the towpath as a divider (its a great hump all the way across the lake)....immediately east of it you'll hit 5 - 8' of water....west towards and around Liebs mostly 2 - 5' of water...look for the gravel areas. This usually takes using an oar as depthfinder gets confused with plankton/algae/mud in the water/shallow water. Carp love those gravel spots that are out there...that's why you hear me talking about "distance" casting from the bank. Wife picks up lots of wipers and cats off the gravel spots too. I keep an eye on that dredge that moves around the lake too. After it leaves...it's a great feeding ground and deeper hole. There's alot of gravel and sand area in the "map depicted" mud areas.

Just like you and the Ohio R. and CJ.....or Ray and IL....the guys that know the cats and Buckeye Lake do well. Keep saying I'm gonna give them a go here and learn their hideouts...maybe next year :D

good stuff bob.the point about the tight lipped guys is true in my opinion.i know there are some good fish there,including flats,just not many people talk about them much.i've given thought to putting more effort into targeting the bigger ones,but those dang saugeyes and wipers alway distract me:rolleyes: ;) .beside the fact that i've always been a river catter and am having trouble converting to lakes since i can't run the riverbanks like i used to.kinda like the old line about teaching old dogs new tricks:rolleyes: ;) but i'm working on it:D

Discussion starter · #48 ·
C'mon Rick. i thought you knew it all.;)

Bob

Great observations/knowledge of Buckeye structure that you've shared .. for the serious guys the below is very important and it takes TOM to learn it:
There's alot of gravel and sand area in the "map depicted" mud areas.
I use the term Hardbottom on the sister lake over this way.

Great Info!
Ray

PS .. If you set your gain control to just have the bottom disappear @ 4' over a muck bottom you can then zoom along & hardbottom will flash right on your screen when you pass over it :)

Discussion starter · #52 ·
LOL...ok, maybe you jsut know enough to stay out of trouble....LOL

Rick...maybe this summer you and I can do the "chub drift" together on BL. ;) :D

Thanks for the "settings" tip there Ray...I usually just turn the darned thing off east of the tow path...course that 100sx of mine may not be able to think as good as yours either :D

Good fishing all....btw...Buckeye lake is in the "twixt" stage today...tween ice and water...warm weather starting sunday should change that quickly.

Great Info on Buckeye. I seem to be spending more and more time on that lake. This year I caught my largest saugeye, channel, and wiper from Buckeye.

Old boat

This was my 3rd boat. I had just done alot of things to it when I decided to go for a larger, more river-friendly rig. I had too many people wanting to fish with me, it was fine by myself, but too small for 2 people ! I always said it was like a sports car.
Bob, I see you ran into the same problem with the pictures as I did with ofoto.:(
Problem's solved now.

BTW, this was a very cold March 3, 2002 the fisrst time out after having the carbs rebuilt this spring. With no windshield at 37 MPH in subfreezing temps is uncomfortable !

Wish I'd held on to this one....

This was the river boat I had in Alaska...it was a "tank" and ran anywhere.....1/4" aluminum bottom...with the outboard jet lower unit I only needed 2" of water once on step. Twin 40 gal fuel tanks...slept 2 on the floor under the canvas. Many great memories with it and the family.

Here's a pic of my daughter a few years back with a nice Alaskan King salmon....this particular spot was a 140 mile roundtrip river (3 different rivers) trip ...she caught it unassisted....that's my girl :)

Thanks Ray....

...we sure liked it. The canvas was fully enclosed with see through back door (4 seats inside)...lantern or stove w/coffee kept it nice and cozy in the sleet/rain/snow of late fall coho fishing. Woulda been a great Ohio River winter boat :( Just didn't feel like towing it the 4500 miles back to Ohio :)

Got my memories going on the boat...

Here's a couple other trips on it...also didn't want to leave young son (now 26 with 3 kids of own) out.
Here's one with Bobby with a couple coho's...we stowed all our camping gear etc in the nose...

And here Bobby's casting for grayling and whitefish out the back end....well that's enough "reflecting" for the day :)

41 - 60 of 61 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.