Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so this is the first time I have ever hunted turkey as I just started hunting last season and fell in love with everything about hunting. I have been practicing my calls since early febuary still not where I should be but Im getting better. However I have a question I have my dads gun from when he was a kid its a remington 870 about 37 years old. I plan on hunting with it but it doesnt have a full choke barrel or the threads to attach one so this will just result in a looser pattern correct and all I would need to do is bring the birds in a little closer if I can get em in correct. Also im to cheap this year to buy a full choke barrel to fit it unless I find one at a good price. Thanks

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
You need to shoot it, pattern it, BEFORE you pull the trigger on a turk. It is not worth wounding a bird. Without a turkey choke, you might be ok to 20-25yrds, but you wont know until you pattern it and see how it shoots at different ranges, and differnt loads.:tsk:

·
Registered
341 Posts
How is the barrel choked that you are going to use? Modified?

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
341 Posts
My son uses a modified barrel and it's good out to 30 yards. Good luck.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tomorrow I plan on going to sportsmans den in shelby gonna pick up some turkey loads. I will grab a target while I am there Planned on going and getting a pattern tomorrow at the range as well. When checking the pattern should I be like how im going to be hunting like sitting on the ground or what. Its a Modifed choke only shoots 2 3/4. I will take a couple shots at 20-25 than try some around 30 I read anymore than that and your not going to do much even with a full choke.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I think at 20 to 25 yards you should be fine. 2 3/4 will be more than enough to put one down.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Okay I thanks I didn't know if a paper size target would be efficient enough are they close to actual size on paper

·
Registered
44 Posts
I think it is pretty close to actual size. The outer circle is about 7 or 8 inches in diameter.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts