Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went out this morning for my first time ever turkey hunting. It was at some private property that I got permission to hunt. I have been getting more serious about hunting this last year and decided to give turkey hunting a try. Equipped with a shot gun my dad bought me for christmas, a box call my grandpa gave me that he got from his dad, a $20 decoy, my newly purchased wal mart camo, and only the knowledge I could find on this forum google and youtube, I headed into the woods this morning to the blind.

As soon as I got out of the truck this morning, I heard gobbling. I thought there is no way I am hearing this already. It must just be in my head....I'm just excited. I headed to the blind sat for a bit and then hit the box call a few times. Nothing. Occassionaly I would hear a gobble way off in the distance when the wind blew just right but I didn't think it was responding to my call. Finally I hit the call and it was obviously responding to me. It got closer and closer and would gobble insatiably at me until I would hit the call again and confirm to him that I was still here. Finally, it was so close I swear he was in the blind with me and up over the hill he came in full strut. He walked right up to my jake decoy and did a half circle around it. When he turned around I pulled the gun up and once he faced me again I let him have it.

This was the most fun I have had hunting...ever. It's like 30 minutes of heart pounding excitement. Deer hunting happens so fast. I am officially addicted to turkey hunting. I am buying another tag and going out tomorrow with my cross bow. After I killed the one today, I heard more gobbling. I think I had two coming in and the one I killed was unfortunate enough to be there first.

9 1/8" beard
just over 3/4" spurs

·
Registered
473 Posts
Congrats! Can't beat that for your first time.

You bring up a great point that I haven't given much thought to. Minute for minute, I would have to agree with you that no other type of hunting I've done gives the heart-in-your-throat thrill that turkey hunting does. It's sad that only a relatively small percentage of our population will ever experience that.

·
5,040 Posts
Welcome to the brotherhood!!

·
Premium Member
3,284 Posts
Congrats!!!!!

·
Registered
5,497 Posts
Every time I read one of these first turkey stories I just want to start chanting in an evil cult member voice "one of us. one of us." moooooahhhhh! hehehehehehehe! ;) :biggrin:

Congratulations and welcome to the "cult". :D Great story too!

·
22,521 Posts
Congrats!

·
Registered
577 Posts
Welcome to the Tenth Legion, my friend. You have tasted the forbidden fruit and shall be cursed to a lifetime of sleepy spring mornings, cold creek crossings, and hours of extreme boredom mixed with fleeting exhilaration.
Congrats, and good luck the rest of the season!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts