Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm going camping with my boyfriend at East Fork State Park in a couple weeks, and I'm looking forward to doing some fishing. I've (unfortunately) only been fishing a handful of times in my life, my boyfriend's only been once, and thus I have no delusions as to our level of expertise. I've been doing a little research and I understand that East Fork is a good lake for crappie, which I also understand taste pretty good. I check the DNR website for current regulations, and I understand that the limits this year (do they even change?) are no more than thirty fish of at least nine inches end to end (mouth closed and tailfin compressed). I have not been fishing for crappie before, in fact I've only been fishing here in Ohio once, and with my mother and younger brother there, my dad and I didn't catch anything. Since crappie seem to be a fairly lightweight fish on average, I think that the poles we have in the garage should be fine (if not over-powered), but I could be wrong. I've heard that they'll take both live bait, waxworms and minnows (in the case of larger fish, I guess?), and lures, and that you should use smaller hooks because they have smaller mouthes. I've also heard that, if you're there on a good day, they can keep biting all day long, from shore or boat. I would like some advice from more seasoned fishermen (or fisher women! :p) on rods and reels, tackle, bait, when to fish, where to fish on the lake (if you're willing to share), and technique (also if you're willing to share).

Submitted from my iPhone.
Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Never fished crappie there, but I know you probably won't do any good bank fishin for them now. Not sayin you may not catch a few, but I highly doubt you'd limit out this time of year and without a boat.
What I would do is go to the public beach (south side off 125) and facing the lake go to the far left and park. You'll see a point. Go there and throw chicken liver into the main lake (there's a sand bar) and throw out as far as you can. You should tear up the stripper.
I use a slip rig on the bottom and leave my bail open. When/if they hit, let em run a bit. If conditions are right, you'll need a few tubs of liver and one pole per person (it's hard to keep two poles in the water).
Let me know how you guys do. It's been a few years since I've fished there, but the years I did we tore em up.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

1 - 2 of 2 Posts