Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This little one put a quick end to our mowing. The mower was set high and must have gone right overtop of her 馃槵. We made sure she was OK 鈥othing broken or cut. She is a day old at the most. No momma around so we moved her back into the tall/uncut grass. When we went back later in the day she was gone thank goodness! This was Tuesday鈥f we counted correctly and momma had a normal pregnancy, she was bred around October 26.
Plant Carnivore Felidae Hare Fawn

Registered
They are so friggin' cute!

Registered
I could see the bulges in a big doe a couple weeks ago. She still had not dropped them. Her twins from last year were with her.

Registered
Hunting.
That's a really great picture! I see fawn now and agin, but since I moved to Potter Coounty Pa I finally got to see a fawn that was born about 100 yards from my back door.
Wish I had a picture to share, but the best I can offer is the doe has been coming to the feed pile in my back yard for about a year now, had either been winged, and nearly crippled during deer season, or just clipped by a car nearby. We call her Gimpie, and she has a clear pass each time she crosses my path during the season . Either way, the right front leg is nearly useless, but she remains a dominant doe here, and appears to be fairly old. Despite this, she's a fighter and does great.
I watched her leave her birthing area with her fawn, walking better than when she was carrying.

You have to admit it's nothing short of a privlige to witness these miracles of the natural world.

Maggie,Thanks for sharing!

I have been watching this doe for the last few days. Like years past they begin to go solo around mid May and start getting ready to have their fawns. This spot typically is one of the spots the local does like having their newborns by my house.

So This doe was hanging around here all day. I knew she was about ready so I watched her on and off. About an hour ago I watched her licking something but couldn鈥檛 see the little one in the tall grass. I finally decided to go over and try to slowly approach and get a pic.

Well she wasn鈥檛 happy and jumped up and blew and stopped at about 10 yards and watched me like a hawk. Sure enough the little guy was there, got the pic and left them alone.

Beak Plant Grass Fawn Terrestrial animal

Registered
Beautiful!

Registered
Fly fishing, skiing, foraging
Shoutout to you for making sure she was okay! They sure are beautiful little creatures. We see a bunch of them this time of year out where I'm from in eastern Ohio.

Registered
I have been watching this doe for the last few days. Like years past they begin to go solo around mid May and start getting ready to have their fawns. This spot typically is one of the spots the local does like having their newborns by my house.

So This doe was hanging around here all day. I knew she was about ready so I watched her on and off. About an hour ago I watched her licking something but couldn鈥檛 see the little one in the tall grass. I finally decided to go over and try to slowly approach and get a pic.

Well she wasn鈥檛 happy and jumped up and blew and stopped at about 10 yards and watched me like a hawk. Sure enough the little guy was there, got the pic and left them alone.

View attachment 56211
She must have known you. Otherwise she would have had a fit.

Registered
I heard one bleating in my back yard this evening just before heading to my son's graduation. Saw a flash either the fawn or momma going into the woods right after that. Walked back there to make sure a coyote didn't have it on the ground.

Registered
I was out at my place yesterday using and bow style sickle cutting the 3" tall stinging nettle (that stuff SUCKS) when I saw the nettle moving. My mind went straight to a rabbit since I couldn't see it but once it cleared the nettle I saw it was a fawn. It was still kinda unsteady on its feet. I couldn't get a pic because I didn't want to get close and spook it into the road. I was actually shocked it ran off instead of staying put.

Registered
That's a really great picture! I see fawn now and agin, but since I moved to Potter Coounty Pa I finally got to see a fawn that was born about 100 yards from my back door.
Wish I had a picture to share, but the best I can offer is the doe has been coming to the feed pile in my back yard for about a year now, had either been winged, and nearly crippled during deer season, or just clipped by a car nearby. We call her Gimpie, and she has a clear pass each time she crosses my path during the season . Either way, the right front leg is nearly useless, but she remains a dominant doe here, and appears to be fairly old. Despite this, she's a fighter and does great.
I watched her leave her birthing area with her fawn, walking better than when she was carrying.

You have to admit it's nothing short of a privlige to witness these miracles of the natural world.

Maggie,Thanks for sharing!
I saw several fawns while up in Potter county trout fishing last month. We have a camp in Sabinsville/Potterbrook area.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts