Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I went out hunting on Monday morning was not expecting much since this year was rather quiet for me. I got to my spot approximately 20 minutes before sunrise and got on my phone to play some games. After about 45 minutes of playing and periodically looking up and around I saw on the slightly higher hill next to me, a large shape between the trees. I zoomed in on my scope and saw the mouth moving so I estimated the distance to be around 50 yards and lined up my scope. I shot though heard a thunk rather later than I expected it to. The deer bounced away to another hill that I know is a common bedding area and I had thought I missed. After 2 hours of waiting I went over to retrieve my bolt. When I did I realized that it had blood on it.

Musical instrument accessory Musical instrument Metal Bicycle part Steel

This was the first time ever hitting so I went over to where I saw it run to and as I was trailing the large blood pools I saw it run further in. I thought this was a liver shot or a lung shot since the blood was mainly dark but with a few bubbles. I didn't realize how long most hunters wait before trailing a deer as to not have it run too far even if fatally hit. So I followed thinking I'd need to finish it only to follow for .1 miles in before losing the trail which ultimately came from single drops no bigger than a shotgun pellet for the last 50 yards. I realized It was going to take a while so I went to get water and lunch and wait for a friend to come help. After he arrived we combed the peninsula all the way and at the very end my friend found it in the water. I dragged it out and cleaned it near the water before sunset came in. The cleaning was very odd to me due to the weight and cold that I'm sure I made a few mistakes such as not having a serrated blade for the chest and not knowing that you can cut the top the the lungs out to grab the whole organ pouch. I also did not have gloves and grabbed out that scent gland/pouch that was ridiculously hard to wash off that smell. :sick:Also while cleaning it I realized the bolt took an odd direction.
Plant Beak Grass Terrestrial animal Wood

The bolt went into the liver clipped a lung but then cut the bottom of the gut and through the leg socket. The next day I came in the morning to drag it out and boy... I never want to drag a deer out again. The total drag was about a little over 1.5 miles long and it was through 2 hills and above fallen trees. It took me a total of 6 hours and I had not realized the struggle it would be to do this alone. I'm only 5' 4" and only a lick above 140lbs, using rope that I know was too thin, and this was also public land so no vehicles allowed. I finally got it to my car and it fit perfectly into the trunk of my toyota camry :). Took it to Oilers processor and will hopefully prove to my family, being the only and late boomer outdoorsman, that hunting can yield something amazing when you put in the work.

I'm happy to have learned a lot from this experience and will maybe participate in gun season or continue hunting next year. Although, next year I know I need the proper tools and skills to clean/process/leg &quarter/drag in order for it to be worth it as processing fee was a bit above $100 as well.

Good luck to everyone still hunting and happy to officially join you all as a deer hunter.

·
Registered
240 Posts
So I went out hunting on Monday morning was not expecting much since this year was rather quiet for me. I got to my spot approximately 20 minutes before sunrise and got on my phone to play some games. After about 45 minutes of playing and periodically looking up and around I saw on the slightly higher hill next to me, a large shape between the trees. I zoomed in on my scope and saw the mouth moving so I estimated the distance to be around 50 yards and lined up my scope. I shot though heard a thunk rather later than I expected it to. The deer bounced away to another hill that I know is a common bedding area and I had thought I missed. After 2 hours of waiting I went over to retrieve my bolt. When I did I realized that it had blood on it.

View attachment 55523
This was the first time ever hitting so I went over to where I saw it run to and as I was trailing the large blood pools I saw it run further in. I thought this was a liver shot or a lung shot since the blood was mainly dark but with a few bubbles. I didn't realize how long most hunters wait before trailing a deer as to not have it run too far even if fatally hit. So I followed thinking I'd need to finish it only to follow for .1 miles in before losing the trail which ultimately came from single drops no bigger than a shotgun pellet for the last 50 yards. I realized It was going to take a while so I went to get water and lunch and wait for a friend to come help. After he arrived we combed the peninsula all the way and at the very end my friend found it in the water. I dragged it out and cleaned it near the water before sunset came in. The cleaning was very odd to me due to the weight and cold that I'm sure I made a few mistakes such as not having a serrated blade for the chest and not knowing that you can cut the top the the lungs out to grab the whole organ pouch. I also did not have gloves and grabbed out that scent gland/pouch that was ridiculously hard to wash off that smell. :sick:Also while cleaning it I realized the bolt took an odd direction. View attachment 55524
The bolt went into the liver clipped a lung but then cut the bottom of the gut and through the leg socket. The next day I came in the morning to drag it out and boy... I never want to drag a deer out again. The total drag was about a little over 1.5 miles long and it was through 2 hills and above fallen trees. It took me a total of 6 hours and I had not realized the struggle it would be to do this alone. I'm only 5' 4" and only a lick above 140lbs, using rope that I know was too thin, and this was also public land so no vehicles allowed. I finally got it to my car and it fit perfectly into the trunk of my toyota camry :). Took it to Oilers processor and will hopefully prove to my family, being the only and late boomer outdoorsman, that hunting can yield something amazing when you put in the work.

I'm happy to have learned a lot from this experience and will maybe participate in gun season or continue hunting next year. Although, next year I know I need the proper tools and skills to clean/process/leg &quarter/drag in order for it to be worth it as processing fee was a bit above $100 as well.

Good luck to everyone still hunting and happy to officially join you all as a deer hunter.
Awesome congrats!!! You're officially hooked! Way to stay with it , it's all worth it in the end no matter the obstacle to get there!!!

·
Registered
67 Posts
With hard work comes big rewards. And yes better get in shape if your gonna be trekking in the mountains and hollers up there. I killed my biggest buck on a logging road no one could access I just hard to walk up the most rediculous mountain we had on the property. But the fact that it was such a tough spot to hunt made it a oasis. Work hard hunt hard eat delicious venison !!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts