Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Premium Member
7,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Honestly I was happy catching anything at all, I was mainly out there to try a couple of new flies I tied over the winter and see how they performed in the water. The basswood poppers cast just fine on my 9wt, sit beautifully in the water, and make one heck of a pop:

After I field tested a few topwaters (no, for anyone who saw me, I wasn't expecting strikes on topwaters), I tried out a couple of streamers and a new bass pattern I tried just 2 nights back. It's a real simple fly rod worm, essentially, and I just know it's gonna kill fish. But finally I tied on a white/black Deceiver and worked it real slow. This fish slammed it hard, and the Deceiver was easily over 1/3 as long as the bass' body.

But it was great just to be out!

· Premium Member
3,950 Posts
That's not a bad first fish. Could have been a little smaller yet. :)

· Premium Member
7,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey hey hey, easy with all this "lunker" nonsense. ;)

I'm going to make a couple of trips to AEP next week, so hopefully I find something a little bigger that wants to play up there. :thumbs_up:

· Premium Member
3,950 Posts
may have to switch smaller flies if the trend continues....... :mischeif:

23,104 Posts
may have to switch smaller flies if the trend continues....... :mischeif:
They make them that small?;):bouncy::biggrin:

Hey hey hey, easy with all this "lunker" nonsense. ;)

I'm going to make a couple of trips to AEP next week, so hopefully I find something a little bigger that wants to play up there. :thumbs_up:
Just messin with ya cream. Any fish that you catch with your fly fishing set up-especially since you make a lot of your own flies etc.- is great. Some day, I may be able to do the same-if I motivate myself enough to try it.

Great pics too-keep them coming!:thumbs_up:

· Registered
4,073 Posts
Good work Cream. A mid March largemouth on a great weather day.:bouncy:

· Premium Member
3,950 Posts
They make them that small?
As good as he is at carving poppers I bet he could easily make one out of a pencil eraser :idea: and put it on a size 16 hook! He'd be all set!!! lol :whistle::D ;)

· Premium Member
7,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
As good as he is at carving poppers I bet he could easily make one out of a pencil eraser :idea: and put it on a size 16 hook! He'd be all set!!! lol :whistle::D ;)
I tried it, the eraser didn't float. :nono::irked:

I'm going to be shooting video all week next week, we'll see what I can come up with to shut you up! :bouncy:

· Registered
4,073 Posts
I'll fall on my sword for you Cream... Here's the pics of my first and second fly caught bass of 2012

Fish #1,

#2, if it were a brookie, I'd have still been a little disappointed. :D

· Premium Member
3,950 Posts
Nice smallie. :)

GM, you know #2 almost looks small enough to be one of the those realistic soft baits that they make now. :whistle:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.