Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
McMillan Fiberglass Stocks, McMillan Firearms Manufacturing, McMillan Group International have been collectively banking with Bank of America for 12 years. Today Mr. Ray Fox, Senior Vice President, Market Manager, Business Banking, Global Commercial Banking came to my office. He scheduled the meeting as an "account analysis" meeting in order to evaluate the two lines of credit we have with them. He spent 5 minutes talking about how McMillan has changed in the last 5 years and have become more of a firearms manufacturer than a supplier of accessories.
At this point I interrupted him and asked "Can I possible save you some time so that you don't waste your breath? What you are going to tell me is that because we are in the firearms manufacturing business you no longer what my business."
"That is correct" he says.
I replied "That is okay, we will move our accounts as soon as possible. We can find a 2nd Amendment friendly bank that will be glad to have our business. You won't mind if I tell the NRA, SCI and everyone one I know that BofA is not firearms industry friendly?"
"You have to do what you must" he said.
"So you are telling me this is a politically motivated decision, is that right?"
Mr Fox confirmed that it was. At which point I told him that the meeting was over and there was nothing let for him to say.

I think it is import for all Americans who believe in and support our 2nd amendment right to keep and bear arms should know when a business does not support these rights. What you do with that knowledge is up to you. When I don't agree with a business' political position I can not in good conscience support them. We will soon no longer be accepting Bank of America credit cards as payment for our products.

Kelly D McMillan
Director of Operations
McMillan Group International, LLC
623-582-9635
www.mcmillanusa.com

Source: https://www.facebook.com/McMillanGroupInternational

·
Banned
624 Posts
http://www.gunreports.com/news/news/NRA-Bank-America-anti-gun-policy_2147-1.html?show_comments=1

(GunReports.com) -- Over the past few months, NRA-ILA received information from a few members detailing some problems that firearm-related businesses were having with Bank of America (BoA).

It appeared that BoA had adopted a policy of denying banking services to businesses associated with firearms. ILA staff contacted BoA corporate leadership and asked them to provide specific information regarding their policies.

In a conversation with Douglas K. Bland, a BoA Senior Vice President, NRA-ILA was assured that there was no such anti-gun policy.

Mr. Bland provided NRA-ILA with a written statement of their policy, which states "Bank of America does not have a corporate-wide policy to deny banking services solely on the applicant's involvement in the firearms industry."

NRA-ILA is pleased with this statement, but will continue to monitor business activities to ensure that gun owners and gun related business receive fair treatment. If you have had issues with Bank of America, please contact NRA-ILA so additional follow-up can be done. If needed, Mr. Bland has indicated his desire to assist with claims of unfair denial of services for firearms related reasons.
One must be careful about what one reads in unsolicited emails.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Your article is from the first event that caused BofA practices to be scrutinized. That was 6/1/2010.

The original article was actually 5/28/2010 from NRA-ILA.
http://www.nraila.org/legislation/federal-legislation/2010/bank-of-america-clarifies-position.aspx

This time around we have the word of Kelly McMillan and not from some bogus propaganda email. It's direct from the McMillan facebook page. It's recent and it's real.

One should practice due diligence when one is skeptical.:16suspect1:

·
Banned
624 Posts
Your article is from the first event that caused BofA practices to be scrutinized. That was 6/1/2010.

The original article was actually 5/28/2010 from NRA-ILA.
http://www.nraila.org/legislation/federal-legislation/2010/bank-of-america-clarifies-position.aspx

This time around we have the word of Kelly McMillan and not from some bogus propaganda email. It's direct from the McMillan facebook page. It's recent and it's real.

One should practice due diligence when one is skeptical.:16suspect1:
That's funny because there isn't a single mention of it on the McMillan web site nor on their order form. I don't do FaceBook... but if you have a URL, I'll take a look.

·
Banned
624 Posts
I just looked this up on Snopes...

http://www.snopes.com/politics/guns/bankofamerica.asp

And they are unable to verify the claims made on Facebook. When they contacted BofA, a spokesperson pointed out that they were currently involved in a $250M deal including Freedom Group, which they claimed is a major manufacturer of guns and ammo. BofA claims that they have no such policy against gun manufacturers.

The ONLY evidence I have found so far is a web site that claims that the BofA bank in question is just a franchise and not actually run by BofA. I have yet to verify that, as well.

If you do a search on this story, you'll find that it only appears on gun sites and in the right wing blogosphere and is completely based on a Facebook page. However, McMillan has no links or mention of any Facebook page on their web site. This is also not mentioned on the public Facebook page you link to and I have no interest in joining Facebook just to read more from a site whose authenticity is in doubt.

I have no love for BofA, but I do love the truth. Has anyone called the McMillan Group to ask them about this? Nothing about this shows up on McMillan's page involving "Terms and Conditions" of sales.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Snopes? LOL!

I am acquainted with Kelly McMillan. We aren't best buds or anything but I know enough to know he would not fabricate slander.

This is from 2 hours ago:
In response to Bank of America's public statement:

The statement we [McMillan] posted was an accurate account of the events that transpired late last week. McMillan Group has been in good standing with B of A and a loyal customer for the past 12 years. We were told that we must finalize all of our accounts because we manufacture firearms.

McMillan cannot speak for Bank of America's company wide policies, but we can speak out about our personal experiences.

We [McMillan] kindly suggest that if Corporate Bank of America has no policy against conducting business with firearms manufactures, then they should communicate these policies with their regional Vice Presidents and other management

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
9 minutes ago:

I just want to let everyone we will post here and on our website which bank we finally choose as our bank. We have had a large number of banks that have expressed an interest in being our bank of choice. You can rest assured that we will pick the appropriate bank and that they will be clear about their support of our 2nd Amendment rights and the firearms industry in general.

Many of you may have seen BofA's official position. Frankly it doesn't surprise me. It hurts some for others to claim that I am dishonest and that what I posted didn't happen, but it doesn't surprise me. I haven't made any claims about what their policy is, I haven't even made any speculation. I just reported the events which took place in my office.

I am in the process of checking with my merchant services provider to find out whether or not I will be able to discontinue taking BofA credit cards for payment. It has been mentioned that my contract with Visa and MasterCard may prevent me from doing so. Either way I will let everyone no when I get the news.

I remember a saying I have heard most of my life, if you tell the truth you don't have to have a good memory. Rest assured my story won't change. I might get better at typing and proof reading, God knows I need that, but the story remains the same.

Again thanks to everyone for your support. Do me a favor and tag in and let me know if you happen to hear any of the radio interviews scheduled over the next few days.

·
Banned
624 Posts
Snopes? LOL!

I am acquainted with Kelly McMillan. We aren't best buds or anything but I know enough to know he would not fabricate slander.
I'm not suggesting that he would. I'm just unable to verify any of this except through a Facebook page which may or may not be legitimate. Company web sites and Facebook pages have been spoofed before.

I'm particularly interested in why Mr. McMillan seeks to imply involvement of all of BofA and to punish all of BofA over what might turn out to just be a judgement call by a local group.

Would you call for a nationwide boycott of Ford just because your local dealership group promoted an anti-gun stance? If you owned a gas station, would you not sell gas to any Ford vehicles for the same reason?

I also see nothing mentioned about McMillan contacting the BofA offices in order to resolve this. Snopes and others have statements from BofA saying that it is not their policy but McMillan seems awfully quiet except on Facebook. It doesn't even appear on their "News and Events" page at their web site.
No one even mentions contacting McMillan for verification. Why?

Anyone have any evidence other than the one Facebook page with few real details and it being repeated across the internet? I can't shake the feeling that there's something fishy going on here.

·
Banned
624 Posts
Well... I may have been wrong...

I emailed Kelly McMillan about the rumor using an email address from their web site and this is his reply:
I am afraid it is not a rumor. Yes it is true. The statement posted on the McMillan Group International Facebook page is exactly as it happened and accurate. I would ask that you redact the gentleman's name but leave his title if you repost the statement. Thank you for your support.
I'd still like to try to contact the guy from BofA to see if their stories match since I don't personally know either party in this, but if they do... this is a really stupid bit of PR for the brand name of the bank.

Oh well, there's no law against bad management... ... and once again, I'm mystified by the goings on in Arizona.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts