Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Man, is this thing awesome. ****, Jamie, Hoot, Geez, Muzzy...I blame you all, I'm def hooked. This longbow is slick, and I must have lucked out with my old wood arrows I don't know the spine on, but they flew really nice. Won't know for sure if they are really good unless I can clean up my form, and do some paper or bare shaft tuning. But I want new wood arrows anyways.

My first arrow out of a longbow basically hit what I was aiming for (granted it was only about 8 yds), and I started getting more confidence with every shot. Had a hard time hitting the target at 20 yds though (it's one of them morrell yellow jackets). The bow is pretty quiet but does have a little twang to it, so I'd like to get a silencer for it. Any advice?

Another thing, everytime I hit the target I would flippin knock the darn thing over. Going to have to prop her up on something. My compound with carbons doesn't do that.

I like shooting any bow, but this thing is a lot of fun. Can't wait to practice and shoot all I can. It seems I like a glove better than a tab (I used both) and I'm not getting bit by the string at all.

·
Registered
206 Posts
glad to hear your so excited and having fun. this stuff is supposed to be fun, afterall. :)

stay close to the target until you get the bugs worked out. master the mechanics and accuracy will naturally follow. practice does not make perfect, perfect practice makes perfect.

if you bow is twangy, the brace height might need adjusting. heavier arrows will quiet a bow down, too.

·
Registered
48,626 Posts
glad youre having fun with it...my longbows i've had or have are very quiet without silencers...usually no twang just a very short thump noise ,not loud,actuall very soft...this is from bows 45# to 61#...i still put on a set of catwhiskers and trim them to no more than three inches by tying them on the string and stretching them out real tight and cutting with a good pr.of sharp scissors...i like to space each silencer on the middle of the string from limb tip to string nock..if you dont like the look because it looks out of balance you can adjust to balance it out more for look.i think wood arrows make bows quieter too...but my concern here is once the bow/bow string is silenced...what about arrow noise...this is what i've been working on...i use 5"feathers now instead of the real big ones...still feather noise is a good bit louder than bow noise...bows can be made real quiet...dont hear much on making the arrow more quiet...and what about broadhead noise.somethang to think about for hunting...have fun...shoot shoot shoot...:biggrin:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts