Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much does time in the field teach your dog to hunt? I have seen and read/watched videos on some drills but how much improvement could i see after a few times in the field.

I have just got a 9 week old brittany and want him to point for rabbits. I have worked some very basic commands he knows "sit" "come" and we are working on "stay"

Any drills, training ideas, or any help please post. Thanks guys

·
Registered
34 Posts
I can say I have never seen a bird dog point rabbits. As far as the length of time to train to hunt depends on the dog. So longer so no time at all. I raise bird dog and coonhounds and do alot of training each pup is different.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
347 Posts
If you plan to hunt rabbits over a pointing dog, buy a checkcord and teach him to be steady to shot. A dog that breaks when the rabbit is flushed is an accident waiting to happen.

Don't get in a hurry to teach your dog to hunt. At 9 weeks old you should be getting him used to being around you and let him have some fun. There's plenty of time to teach him to hunt after his obedience training is complete.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i would agree i don't want him to move on the flush and ideas on how to teach that. ( i will google that this evening)

·
Registered
347 Posts
i would agree i don't want him to move on the flush and ideas on how to teach that. ( i will google that this evening)
For my purposes steady to flush is sufficient so I'm certainly no expert on training steady to shot. With that said, steady to shot can basically be taught with the use of training birds, a check cord and an assistant. A bird launcher can be substituted for the assistant but the helper is better if you have someone who is willing and available.

Essentially you're just keeping the dog from breaking point when the bird flushes by restraining it with the check cord. Then praise and reward the dog for not chasing after the bird. It takes time and patience but with exposure and consistancy, eventually the dog learns to hold point until it is released. It is important that you keep the dog under control because allowing it to sometimes chase without being restrained will confuse it as to what you want.

All that process takes time but it is much easier if the obedience training is already in place.

·
Premium Member
3,949 Posts
Lots of time a repetition for him to be good at what he does. It's also a good opportunuty for bonding futher with your dog.

Whoa is a command you will want to teach, you will use it whether your pointing rabbits or birds. I'd probably wait a few months on that one though. You puppies to be puppies and have fun.

You may want to look into NAVHDA (North American Versatile Hunting Dog Association) They specialize in working with the continental pointing breeds and training to handle both feather and fur.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Sorry I didn't respond to your PM sooner. Eight days without electric or internet will do that! Our service is still sketchy but hopefully my last PM went through to you.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts