Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do electric dog fences work well? How about for Beagles?

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
I've got invisible fence on about 2 acres. Never had a problem with my old Dalmatian, Boxer and my GSP unless I break the fence, which happens a lot runnin a bobcat around.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Ill sell you a 2 mile charger for your electric fence. Works great for dogs

OutdoorHub Mobile, the information engine of the outdoors

·
Registered
347 Posts
Underground fences work great but only if you take the time to train the dog properly. If you follow the instructions, that takes a brief daily session for 2-3 weeks. My 9 year old Llewellin Setter has never challenged the fence, even when the power is down.

The only downside I see to an underground fence is that it doesn't protect your dog from others that may come on to your property.

·
Registered
248 Posts
when we used it, it worked great, took my lab one zap to learn to stay away from the property line. after the zap, as soon as she hears the warning beep, she quickly changes direction. she never got out of the yard, we even let her go without the collar for a few days, and she never tried to go passed the line.
there was only one time she went passed the line, and that was on a day my kids were out in the front yard playing with her sitting there watching them, like she always does. a stray dog came down the street, and headed for my kids in the front yard at full charge, she let out a loud growl, and charged the dog to keep him away from the kids. she went way passed the line with the collar zapping her, and she never blinked an eye to protect the kids that day, glad she did, who knows what may have happened if she didn't.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts