Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will only be hunting for one week of gun season.if I put out a feeder for the week will there be enough time for it to help.
Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
5,836 Posts
Maybe.. I am sure it may draw in a few.. why not just hunt the trails in and out of there natural food source? or the out skirts of there bedding? Hunt, don't just sit on the corn pile.. You must be from Michigan! LOL

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No it's worse than that I'm from NJ.I have never seen the property I'll be hunting and don't want to upset the woods looking for food source or bedding area that's the reason I thought bait might work.

·
Registered
5,836 Posts
Priv? or public?

I would get a topo map then Google earth that will help and get you started...

Ridges natural funnals and pinch points.. First day in, pay attention to everything. I would stay around the edges and not tromp all over the place..

·
22,528 Posts
:biggrin:

·
Super Moderator
3,037 Posts
I think you would be wasting your time. If you are only going to be in for a week and won't be able to set it up in advance they won't have enough time to develope a pattern of feeding there. Also, after the first few days of being shot at the deer movement will slow WAY down....again limiting the opportunity for them to find the feeder.

As others have suggested look for pinch points and thick cover. Its probably more likely to catch them moving on an escape route than at a new food source.

·
22,528 Posts
Had to initiate the newbie properly 1st CD.:biggrin:

Feeders won't be that effective with so little time as schu stated. Depending on the hunting pressure around the property a few options play out.

If you have thick cover that deer bed in and use as their bedroom and the surrounding properties are hunted hard, like others suggested, hunt the travel routes to and from those. Once their disturbed there, they will head to cover where they won't be.

If the properties around yours is not heavily hunted, travel corridors to and from bedding and feeding areas, and especially funnels that play into these would increase your chances. The funnels-allows a higher concentration of deer to travel by you at any given time. You will have to walk the perimeter of the property and get an idea of the travel patterns and don't disturb the thick areas that are used for their sanctuary and bedding areas-you'll push them out. Walking all over the property that week, will only move deer to others.

·
Registered
122 Posts
like most gun hunters in ohio...just join a group of hunters and put a drive on...or just walk around and when you see something move...just SHOOT!!!...good luck...don't waste ur money on the corn

·
Registered
88 Posts
Charles good luck....you're hunting a great area. As most have suggested leave the bait alone, it probably will not help in such a short time. Best for you to bring a climbing treestand and a shotgun or muzzleloader that can kill consistently at 100 yards....spend days scouting on Google earth and/or BING before your arrival.

Once you arrive, confirm/eliminate your choices with about 3-4 hours of on the ground scouting per 100 acres. Once you locate a likely area (saddles/pinch points/thick areas/or benches) put your stand up.

On opening day get in 1 1/2 hours before legal shooting time and dont come down till days end. (Take your lunch and piss jug). The solo hunter in a tree is often the recipient of another hunters bumped deer. Patience is the key to killing a good buck in Ohio.

Good luck and enjoy the next few months anticipating that big buck......I truly think thats some of the best part of hunting.

Rich

·
Registered
5,836 Posts
We hunt public every year for gun. It is very spooky some of the guy's that we talk to but most of all the kind of things they say. So I feel you. With that said, I have never had a problem at all while hunting there for the last 25 years

priv. isn't that bad at all.

After holding a bow for 2 months I do enjoy my Muzzy...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks to all of you for your comments.I will do the best I can and know I will enjoy hunting in the great state of Ohio.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts