Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It is that time of year for the feeders to be filled, some are already at it. What are you all putting in your feeders and do you change up as season gets closer?

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Well i took mine down for the first time ever this year. I will be puting it out some time within the next two weeks corn is a bad idea this time of year with the high humidity it will rot in Ur feeder I get either purina antler max or record rack deer nugets the record rack is cheaper. A pellet is the way to go till mid September and then I put half pellets and half corn till the pellets are gone they need the corn to help get through winter

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
60 Posts
I end up doing a homemade bucket feeder with a dowel rod (i replaced it with a pvc pipe with end caps) and hung it from a tree. Got tired of the ***** eating all my deer feed so hopefully this will slow down the ***** a lil. I used peanut butter on the pipe for the deer to learn how to use it. Also put out a full jar of peanut butter on a tree near the corn feeder. Hope to get better pics this week.

·
Registered
5,832 Posts
I don't think I am going to do the feeder thing. I have decided that it is a waste of money and it is cheating... legal or not..

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
I use the wild game feed from Farmers Exchange in Carrollton. They add a little apple scent to it.

I havent really had much experience with feeders, but have used corn piles.

I have always used salt blocks, but this year I started using pressed blocks. I am super happy with them, last a little longer than loose feed and the deer tear them up!

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
I think a watering hole might be better than a feeder this year.

·
Registered
5,832 Posts
What no one bites on my crappy comits... man I was fish-in.....

I may put out some corn for pic's.... I have 4 mineral licks out that are getting messed with...

I and getting some great pic's by a creak on a trail that conects to food plot's.. & differant bucks 2 big shooters..

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
What no one bites on my crappy comits... man I was fish-in.....

I may put out some corn for pic's.... I have 4 mineral licks out that are getting messed with...

I and getting some great pic's by a creak on a trail that conects to food plot's.. & differant bucks 2 big shooters..
Haha. I had a feeling. I am rather surprised Coonie hasn't chipped in about how feeders are cheating and how in the WNF, you don't need feeders cause deer would rather throw themselves on a sharp stick than face the bowhunter.

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
OK wildman this is for you. I don't use feeders cuz I live in heavy farm land and the deer have no reason to go to the feeder when they have thousands of acres of corn, beans and hay. But I do hunt over the corn, bean and hay fields. Huge food plots and I don't have to pay for seed. I"M cheap. so it's better to let the farmer pay for the food the deer eat. Is hunting over crop fields the same as baiting ? If it is I cheat every year. Oh yea, I don't scout with trail cams eather cuz I don't care how big the buck is. I can't eat the bone but my dog likes to chew on it. And the small racks make good knife handles for small knives. Pluse big bucks are tuff and chewy. LOL

·
Registered
5,832 Posts
Catchdog is a cheater!

Catchdog is a cheater!

Catchdog is a cheater!

Catchdog is a cheater!

Catchdog is a cheater!

Catchdog is a cheater!

Catchdog is a cheater!

Catchdog is a cheater!

Catchdog is a cheater!

Catchdog is a cheater!

Catchdog is a cheater!

Catchdog is a cheater!

Catchdog is a cheater!

Catchdog is a cheater!

Catchdog is a cheater!

Catchdog is a cheater!

Ha Ha ha

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
And I hunt with a crossbow,
I'm a big time cheater.
Oh yea with a scope on it with lines for 20, 30, 40, and 50 yards.
I think that makes me a tripple cheater.
When I go to Texas to hunt hogs. I sometimes hunt over feeders and I stay a couple hours after dark with a light ontop of my scoped rifle. Dang I'm a bad boy.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts