Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner
21 - 40 of 61 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
I'm more on the NW area of Ohio and have mostly had good encounters with Amish. Haven't had any major issues with decimating wildlife populations that I'm aware of, but then again I haven't been hunting that long either. I would imagine the Amish around Holmes County are much different though. Took a couple trips there in the past and you can tell that they are all about big $$$, they use technology, solar panels on roofs everywhere, etc. And while you cant control what others do on their own land, I can definitely understand that it would be quite frustrating for someone to come along and destroy your local wildlife population through illegal means (i.e. killing everything in sight year round), especially if you've preserved that area for many years to cultivate healthy deer populations.

And while I'm not a fan of killing right over food piles, I'm also not a fan of big brother government telling people what they can/cannot do on their own land either. If someone wants to plant food plots or scatter out a quality supplemental food source here and there whenever forage becomes scarce, I am not sure what the harm in that would be. How is it any different than deer eating through a soybean ag field?

· Premium Member
3,093 Posts
I’ve found more success with food plots over feeders. Some of you act like you just put up a feeder and a big buck walks in the next day. Not reality. Also if we want to cut down on deer disease we should ban water holes and swamps so they don’t get EHD. Far far more deer die of EHD than the boogeyman, excuse for everything, CWD.

· Registered
2,418 Posts
From the edge....feeders/feed have seldom been about killing bucks as Job 1.

Feeders, et al are about keeping deer on a property, lease, farm or whatever is the popular word today...and off the land of another....dueling feeders happen.
Feeders are about providing opportunities for shooters to evaluate "their" deer and their progress year-round; about keeping more does around which will, at times, draw in bucks, it is about keeping-up-with-the Jones-family in equipment and the feeding process is about reckoning a better return on, often, a sizable investment in "deer hunting"....baiting is what many folks imagine to be why other folks are successful.
Whether the trade-offs to new shooters wishing a leg up or to older shooters happy now is, hopefully, for the folks concerned with deer health to say.....as, this issue will never be about anything but some combo of deer and shooter and all else lives with being ignored.
I suppose one must also reckon in the power of the mega business termed Big Deer to any decision or compromise.

As an aside, one reason for baiting in Michigan's upper peninsula was drawing deer into position in very thick cover and onto cut shooting lanes....piles of sugar beets, cabbages, corn or apples once did that.
Of course, on Yoop farmland, it was gilding the lily of ease, analysis and competition, as down here.

Just a note....but the A-mish exist in Michigan's upper peninsula....so far, the critters there are doing ok.

· Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
From the edge....feeders/feed have seldom been about killing bucks as Job 1.

Feeders, et al are about keeping deer on a property, lease, farm or whatever is the popular word today...and off the land of another....dueling feeders happen.
Feeders are about providing opportunities for shooters to evaluate "their" deer and their progress year-round; about keeping more does around which will, at times, draw in bucks, it is about keeping-up-with-the Jones-family in equipment and the feeding process is about reckoning a better return on, often, a sizable investment in "deer hunting"....baiting is what many folks imagine to be why other folks are successful.
Whether the trade-offs to new shooters wishing a leg up or to older shooters happy now is, hopefully, for the folks concerned with deer health to say.....as, this issue will never be about anything but some combo of deer and shooter and all else lives with being ignored.
I suppose one must also reckon in the power of the mega business termed Big Deer to any decision or compromise.

As an aside, one reason for baiting in Michigan's upper peninsula was drawing deer into position in very thick cover and onto cut shooting lanes....piles of sugar beets, cabbages, corn or apples once did that.
Of course, on Yoop farmland, it was gilding the lily of ease, analysis and competition, as down here.

Just a note....but the A-mish exist in Michigan's upper peninsula....so far, the critters there are doing ok.
Understand your points, but in our area here, 99.9 percent of our hunting and local area communities will explode when Amish are mentioned, neighborhood deer populations have been decimated in every area they move into, and they are literally buying up everything and moving all of their relatives into our area, shutting down farms raising land cost of of reach for locals now, destroying beautiful land raping it, selling it off and moving on to the next destruction

· Registered
2,418 Posts
Understand your points, but in our area here, 99.9 percent of our hunting and local area communities will explode when Amish are mentioned, neighborhood deer populations have been decimated in every area they move into, and they are literally buying up everything and moving all of their relatives into our area, shutting down farms raising land cost of of reach for locals now, destroying beautiful land raping it, selling it off and moving on to the next destruction
Yes, I thought that opinion of the A-mish was your reason for posting....and, "raping" the land is an often used, sadly used phrase imo, especially popular tho as folks get wound up and imagine finding traction.
One hears it mistakenly applied during NF meetings, for example.

Personally and for no worth what so ever, your vitriol appears affected and could stand a bit of consideration on more than the state of your own very local deer herd.
Only because, bigger issues and issues more all encompassing exist, again imo.

· Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Yes, I thought that opinion of the A-mish was your reason for posting....and, "raping" the land is an often used, sadly used phrase imo, especially popular tho as folks get wound up and imagine finding traction.
One hears it mistakenly applied during NF meetings, for example.

Personally and for no worth what so ever, your vitriol appears affected and could stand a bit of consideration on more than the state of your own very local deer herd.
Only because, bigger issues and issues more all encompassing exist, again imo.
No bitter harness can be found in my truth.

· Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Hmmm? Amish are the only one's that use feeders? Poach? Trespass? Ignore game laws? Litter? What else? ;)
That comment doesn’t seem to fit, but appreciate the sarcasm in your comment, maybe you’ll be surrounded with Amish in your neighborhood, good luck with that, then and only then will you make sense

· Administrator
6,022 Posts
I’ve never thought it’s a good idea to pattern ourselves after the state which elected Gretchen Whitmer governor twice. Just saying.
I will stay out of the politics, but the lower peninsula has had this in effect for quite some time. You wouldn't know it by driving by the gas stations who have all the bait out for sale.

· Registered
2,418 Posts
I will stay out of the politics, but the lower peninsula has had this in effect for quite some time. You wouldn't know it by driving by the gas stations who have all the bait out for sale.
I assumed a lot of that was to catch the eye of folks heading up to camp....interesting how traffic swells on certain days of the week come autumn.

· Premium Member
3,093 Posts
That comment doesn’t seem to fit, but appreciate the sarcasm in your comment, maybe you’ll be surrounded with Amish in your neighborhood, good luck with that, then and only then will you make sense
Did they steal the land in your neighborhood?

· Registered
247 Posts
I don't care either way, because I don't bait, but I would would say that it would put a hurting on these so called " Outfitters " that sell hunts on leased land, which would be great IMO. I could see the state losing a lot of money from out of state hunters because of that, which I don't think they will go for. They don't care about the deer, they care about the money. It's just another branch of government politics.

· Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Really since it has happened in the lower peninsula of Michigan, I think my hunting has improved.
Bluedog
Really since it has happened in the lower peninsula of Michigan, I think my hunting has improved.
Bluedog, you seem to be the only one with good outdoor experience, and good foresight of things affecting our great whitetails and their future, good to know there are some folks on here who actually get it.
The Redarrow7

21 - 40 of 61 Posts