Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

· Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apparently from a reputable source as I stated previously about the dangers of feeders and CWD, Ohio will ban feeders if not this coming year, I hear definitely by the next year, about time, after the Holmes County Amish deer farm CWD cover up situation—it’s about time
Every bad deer and wildlife issue seems to connect the Amish somehow or another, are we ever going to see any effort to monitor their created issues to our neighborhood deer herds as every day that goes by that I’m in any store that has outdoor hunting equipment that is a major HOT topic from everyone, I have to Agree with them as well.

· Registered
956 Posts
Amen!!!! Hunting over feeders is not hunting….it’s killing. Banning this crap is long overdue. People who use/hunt over feeders are in the same category as pay $5k to hunt a buck in a high fence area. Trash! I also think dumping a pile of corn or a bag of some stupid marketed attractant is in the same boat. Let them do it in TX…small deer, small racks all killed over crap.

· Premium Member
3,093 Posts
Anyone willing to put a wager on this?

Reactions: jackal_727

· Premium Member
3,093 Posts
I admire your passion old friend but comparing feeders to high fences is kind of crazy don’t ya think? I mean I’m good either way but let’s do apples and apples here. Good to see ya back though.

Reactions: ohiohornhunter

· Registered
2,206 Posts
Highly doubt a state wide ban will happen but could see a monitored area ban in place . Have heard about this ban many times and ends up being a chicken little scenario where the skys falling… don’t really care either way it goes anymore if it’s legal just leave it be

· Registered
448 Posts
Michigan LP has a state wide ban…. Not that far out that Ohio could follow suit. I don’t care from a moral perspective I think baiting is fine, but I do believe if there is a ban in place it would benefit Ohios deer herd, more natural movement patterns etc. that being said I’m not sure what it would do to as far as economics in Ohio. I’m sure it has to be a pretty decent revenue stream and to just shut that off would certainly have some negative impact.

· Premium Member
3,093 Posts
I’ve never thought it’s a good idea to pattern ourselves after the state which elected Gretchen Whitmer governor twice. Just saying.

· Premium Member
3,093 Posts
What promotes more raccoons is nobody hunts them and they keep mating. No closed season on raccoons be a good place to start. However you do raise a great point. Instead of the government telling folks what they can and can’t do on property they own and pay taxes why don’t we just let landowners decide for themselves? Wow what a concept!!!

· Registered
2,418 Posts
I don’t allow baiting on the properties we own. Camera photos always show a hoard of raccoons around the corn piles, and the last thing we need is to promote more raccoons.
It is difficult to ever control predators by hunting.....professional trapping of predators for the revenue stream, when reasonable, goes a long way to control numbers, hunting not so much beyond a very local look.
Poisoning works but has had a sketchy history and can often hit non-target species.....much like snares set for a purpose beyond hide.
Plus, poison, in any form, is as low shelf and selfish as one can get.

Raccoons mate from good food and a lot of it, dependable, nutritious food on a schedule....a survival of the fittest thing, breed when times are shining.
Deer feeders or dumped food lead to shining times in the woods for many predators.

Whitmer, as earlier mentioned, is a dangerous dunce but make no mistake....Michigan vs deer feeding came from a place of experience and doing the math by folks up der who know.

Whether Ohio will ban deer feeders, year-round feeding, dump feeding and all of it....I have no clue but suspect this thread was most about the A-mish.
If some form of ban happens tho, the impetus will arrive from deer concern and not from a concern wider than the deer herd.
That...is history speaking.

· Registered
234 Posts
Amen!!!! Hunting over feeders is not hunting….it’s killing. Banning this crap is long overdue. People who use/hunt over feeders are in the same category as pay $5k to hunt a buck in a high fence area. Trash! I also think dumping a pile of corn or a bag of some stupid marketed attractant is in the same boat. Let them do it in TX…small deer, small racks all killed over crap.
Shows how much you know! I don't even have $5,000 dollars! LMAO

· Registered
6 Posts
What have the Amish been doing exactly? Are they notorious for putting out feeders/feed and "hunting" right over them? Shooting something right over a corn pile is lame.

And what are your thoughts on food plots? Seems that they are well received or am I mistaken? What about thinly scattering soybeans or acorns across an acre or two post-rut/winter to help keep local herds healthy, is that frowned upon?

New around here and just trying to catch up on the topic =)

· Premium Member
3,093 Posts
I’ll gladly put $50 on no statewide baiting ban in the next two years to anyone who wants to take it. I have Venmo and Apple Pay. I know how these rumors go.

· Premium Member
3,093 Posts
What have the Amish been doing exactly? Are they notorious for putting out feeders/feed and "hunting" right over them? Shooting something right over a corn pile is lame.

And what are your thoughts on food plots? Seems that they are well received or am I mistaken? What about thinly scattering soybeans or acorns across an acre or two post-rut/winter to help keep local herds healthy, is that frowned upon?

New around here and just trying to catch up on the topic =)
Arrow 7 hates Amish and hates crossbows and baiting and a litany of other things. It’s just more of the same here.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts