Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

Favorite rifle caliber

7K views 67 replies 24 participants last post by  catchdog 
#1 ·
Mine for large game at medium range is the 30/06 and the 7mm08 .
I'm not what I would calla long range shooter .
I also love the copper bullets like Barnes TSX and TTSX and Federal Trophy copper .
Start the debate

#3 · (Edited)
Gotta go old school 45-70 430 gr hard cast in a good ol lever gun
The caliber has taken Africa’s big six was used by the military and still serves a purpose in the military to this day considered a short range caliber by today’s standards and definitely not flat shooting but in capable hands I wouldn’t want to be with in 2500 yards of the calibers recipient end google sandy hook test for a better explanation
That’s my key word my favorite caliber may not be the best at everything but good at what I need it for

#4 ·
I have killed 2 bears with the 7mmo8 one DRT the other made it 40 yards many hogs have died from it also Along with a bunch of African game from my wife . I Also have killed a bunch of hogs with the 30/06 and any hog hunter knows they are much tougher than deer , along with a bunch of African game . And that includes a 920 pound Eland that only made it 40 yards from the shot . Yes there are pics to prove it in the out of state area .
And yes the 35 whelen would work as well . But the 30/06 will shoot a 165 grain bullet much flatter and with a good copper bullet will give you all the penetration you need . The whelen is great at close range , but that heavy bullet starts to drop like a rock pretty quick .

#7 ·
I have killed 2 bears with the 7mmo8 one DRT the other made it 40 yards many hogs have died from it also Along with a bunch of African game from my wife . I Also have killed a bunch of hogs with the 30/06 and any hog hunter knows they are much tougher than deer , along with a bunch of African game . And that includes a 920 pound Eland that only made it 40 yards from the shot . Yes there are pics to prove it in the out of state area .
And yes the 35 whelen would work as well . But the 30/06 will shoot a 165 grain bullet much flatter and with a good copper bullet will give you all the penetration you need . The whelen is great at close range , but that heavy bullet starts to drop like a rock pretty quick .
So why the 06 again ? not that it can't do the job but in Africa I always thought they had a minimum or is that only dangerous game hunts
I honestly think the 06 is the best designed bottle necked cartridge ever developed but like I said not my favorite

#6 ·
I guess a few million Bison can't be wrong . I prefer a longer POA .
How much hold over you think you would need for 2500 yards . You think a scope has that many clicks . I sure couldn't see a target that far for iron sights . Well maybe if it was a big red barn .

#8 ·
.270 is a fine cal also . I used one in Africa on my first trip and it worked just fine . Many of the PH's said the .270 will do anything the 06 will do and do it better . The only reply I had for them is it won't shoot a 220 grain bullet . The recoil is less than the 06 and if you need a little less recoil the .270 and the 7mm08 are fine cals that will do the job . Not the best cals for big brown bears . But there are better cals for that job than the 06 also .

#9 ·
Just for dangerous game .
How ever a 7x57 has killed thousands of dangerous game animals . Bell killed a thousand elephants with one back in his day .
I took the 30/06 because I have one and it shoots very well . The wife took her little 7mmo8 and it worked just fine . As we all know shot placement is the key along with a good bullet for the bigger plains game like Eland , Zebra kudu . Wildebeest are a tuff critter also .
I also shot a Blesbok with a .243 it worked fine also .

#10 ·
Just for dangerous game .
How ever a 7x57 has killed thousands of dangerous game animals . Bell killed a thousand elephants with one back in his day .
I took the 30/06 because I have one and it shoots very well . The wife took her little 7mmo8 and it worked just fine . As we all know shot placement is the key along with a good bullet for the bigger plains game like Eland , Zebra kudu . Wildebeest are a tuff critter also .
I also shot a Blesbok with a .243 it worked fine also .
As you said shot placement is everything

#11 ·
My favorite is the .300WSM....very accurate, and will put down anything on this continent...from deer and caribou to moose and bear. If I was only allowed one caliber, this would be it. Like stated earlier, it’s a personal preference and bullet placement is everything.

#12 ·
I have shot the .300WM but not the .300WSM nor have I seen anything killed with it . My buddy shoots a .300WM for hogs . I can say it destroys a lot of meat when you hit them in the shoulder . In my opinion it's a bit much for the range we shoot . Most under 200 yards . But that round shines at long range .

#16 ·
varmints such as woodchucks/coyotes in ohio-223rem or 22-250.
Deer in ohio-45-70 300gr JHP.
Deer in other states such as Kentucky, PA, WV. id go 30-06.
Out west-300 win mag all the way.
Black bear in Appalachia area-30-30 or something similar.
Bear in Alaska or such where shots are farther. 30-06 or 300 win mag.
Sheep-300 win mag
alligator-300 win mag
African game-couldn't tell ya. Too much crap can kill you over there.
Elk-300 win mag
If I hunted all over the continent for all species it would be 300 win mag.

I am a 45-70 fan but anything over 200 yards its got too much drop and loses a lot of speed/energy so again unless your shooting at a big red barn at 2500yards there is no way on this earth your hitting anything and even the barn is sketchy.
You should being a fan of the 45-70 do just a bit of research smh sandy hook test for starters a lot of interesting information out there on what has been done with that caliber as well as a lot of others
The title was favorite caliber if I'm not mistaken so out of the several you had mentioned what one of all of them is your favorite ???

#20 ·
A naked unicorn with a 5 barrel turret mounted on top!! That's what we use in fairy tail land where we shoot a 400gr bullet over a mile away at deer. Speaking of naked its time for bed!!
No one said anything at shooting over a mile at deer notvthat I saw what I saw was a guy who claims Korea sniper duty and with a .243 considering when the war was and when that caliber was introduced I'd say you got busted by a historian don't insult the veterans that are on this sight with talk like that shame on you

#22 ·
You've insulted half the members on here within the last 3 days! Don't talk to me about veterans! I've got a shadow box with a flag and full of medals and airborne patches from my father and grandpa was also airborne! Don't start your bullcrap with me cause I'll end it real quick! Take your 2500 yard 45-70 crap on down the road! Obviously you can't take a joke or criticism on how people hunt.
So I speak of a historical event on a test that was done and it's crap again it's simple information like I said look it up sandy hook test
Further more your shadow box sounds interesting and I'm sure your family served the country well didn't knock that
I simply said or should I say asked what of the calibers you mentioned what was your favorite in your post and my mentions of doing a little research was not to insult at all if you took things that way from that original post so be it can't change that one

#31 ·
Oh, you deer folks.

Thinking back and w/o any interest in using one today......the .257 Roberts was a favorite and performed a variety of chores.
Load down to 1900 fps or so, an 86 grain .25-20 bullet would clear the porch of the favorite here, raccoons, or a 100 grain partition-like for deer. The 120 in a stout form and properly placed will also do a lot asked of it, with no boom or bellow.
If, I was looking for just a deer, flat country round...the .25 Neidner.

I had a .35 Whelen but never shot anything that deserved it's use.....can't help but be a good 'un and a comfortable round on larger critters however.

The best looking cartridge and maybe the one with high inherent accuracy, to me, is the .222 tho the .22-250 and Swift were more appealing when I was a kid thinking that big case mattered.
Today, I would look for a nice .22 Hornet, maybe an old G&H Springfield M2, a 6X scope and then I would grin.

#32 ·
Not very experienced with HPs. The only one I own is a .270 win. She's pretty much a safe queen, although I hope to get her some action later this fall. Growing up we did a bit of shooting with an uncle's .25-06. It was quite the shooter.

#36 ·
Well when it come to plinking or practice shooting . I whip out my CZ .22LR . I have it sighted in at 100 yards and it will shoot nickel size groups at that range . I can pull the trigger 200 times in a day and never get a sore shoulder. It is my favorite practice rifle .

#37 ·
As Thornton said the 257 Roberts is also a great caliber.. Catchdog as for the 06's day being over as you said some say... Tell them to take a walk in the Pa. deer woods and take a poll as to what rifle and caliber is being carried by 90 % of the hunters.. Id have to say it is a Remington Model 760 or 7600 chambered in 30/06...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.