Featured Father daughter hunt

Discussion in 'Ohio Turkey Hunting' started by Coondog, Apr 29, 2018.

1. . BF28D28D-E4EE-46AA-AB76-AE7787EEBF37.jpeg

Today was a day I’ll never forget. My 7 year old daughter insisted on going turkey hunting this weekend. I was more than happy to ablige. Although I’m a run and gun type hunter and don’t prefer to set in a blind over decoys I figured she wouldn’t last long climbing the hills so a blind and some decoys it was. Turkeys gobbled on the roost in every direction early and often. Other than being a little chilly it was a picture perfect morning. I had the utmost confidence at some point soon a turkey would enter the field we were set up in. As time went by my daughter began to get a little cold and cranky. Waking up at 330 in the morning and driving hour and a half south will take a toll on a youngin. I began to try to do things to keep her mind occupied in the blind. We played games on her tablet, made up songs about turkey hunting and one another, gave her some lessons on my glass call, talked about all the animals in the woods and kept the snacks comin her way. At about 930am I was running thin on ideas. I told her at 10am we could walk down the path behind the blind and look for mushrooms in a spot I’ve found them before. It peaked her interest so she was satisfied. At 10 we left the blind behind and headed down the path. I explained to her how to walk quietly and how you can scratch the leaves along the way to sound like a turkey. As we walk looking for morels I call every so often hopping to strike a gobble. We finally climb to the top of the ridge at the far end of the property. I let off a series of yelps and a few clucks from the top and to my dismay receive no response. We hang around on top of the ridge for a few minutes and decide to head back down the hill and call it a day. About halfway back down I hear a gobble from the top close to where we had been. I responded with some yelps and hustled back up the hill hoping he would believe the hen was near the bottom. We got up and kneeled behind a tree and waited. Not another sound was heard from the gobbler but out of nowhere he stepped into a four wheeler trail 25 yds in front of me and I was able to seal the deal. She was overrun with excitement and that’s what I was the most excited about. It’s was a great day teaching a member of the next generation about why we do what we do and respect for the animals we pursue.

CD8340A2-6778-43A0-BF5D-651E26EC9532.jpeg

2. That's awesome. Congrats.

Coondog likes this.

3. Great story! Congrats!!

Coondog likes this.
  4. Congrats , and those will be some great memories

Coondog likes this.
  5. Nicely done! What a cool experience.

Coondog likes this.
  6. Schu72

Schu72 Staff Member Super Mod Mod

What a great experience for the two of you. Congrats!

Coondog likes this.
  7. Some of my fondest memories have been made with my daughter turkey hunting I'm glad to see yours has the urge as well.

Coondog likes this.
  8. Awesome , just Awesome

Coondog likes this.
  9. You can't beat that, congratulations on a job well done and congratulations to your daughter for hanging tough

Coondog likes this.
  10. Awesome story! A memorable hunt indeed!

Coondog likes this.
  11. Congrats coondog!!! It was good to meet you and the Blood Brother guys last week.

Coondog likes this.
  12. Thanks! It was good meeting you as well. We had a heck of a good time despite the rain. I’ll be heading back down around zaleski again this coming weekend. Best of luck to ya. If you wear that diaphragm call out let me know I’ll make you another.

bilman63 likes this.
  13. It was a good time. I'm heading down Thursday night, so Ill probably see you. That call sounds great!!! I'll buy a few for sure. Also a camo hat if you guys have any.

Coondog likes this.
  14. I’ll check on the hats for ya. I put in a request for camo this year but I’m not sure if Brice got any. We might have a couple left from last year.

bilman63 likes this.
  15. Bryan six

Bryan six Staff Member Super Mod Mod

That call does sound sweet coondog!

bilman63 and Coondog like this.
  16. Thanks! If you need any give me a holler.

bilman63 likes this.
  17. Congrats on teaching the next generation! And what a great bird!

Coondog likes this.
  18. Lance

Lance Super Mod Mod

Fantastic memory you guys just created!!

Coondog likes this.
  19. Bryan six

Bryan six Staff Member Super Mod Mod

Can you make a smaller frame one?? I have to have a medium to small frame?? Think your buddies said you guys needed something for smaller frames???

Coondog likes this.
  20. Well technically what we use is a small frame which is the most widely used in diaphragms. To go smaller I’d have to buy another jig for the press. I can maybe drop you one off this weekend when I’m down there hunting for you to try out. Maybe in the future I’ll get another jig for the narrower frames.