Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

Fans in Ohio

2K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  JBSedon 
#1 ·
This past spring I picked up 16 x60 in hopes of some day putting a kicker fan on it say 10-15 hp. When I was getting my registration I asked the folks there if fans were legal and they said NO in state parks except 4 parks. Just wondering though if they could be used on Muskingum Watershed lakes? Have you ever seen anyone in a state park with a fan?

I am sick of my troller just bogging down trying go through weeds and I am sick of spooking fish with my troller half way out of the water in the shallows. Nonetheless I think this is the reality of bow fishing in Ohio.

#4 ·
Theres a couple of us who shoot a small circuit, most of those are on Muskingum lakes, theres a guy who has a small fan boat who shoots with us. He hasnt had any problems.

Also, Carpn has an 1872 fanboat. BIG fan too. You could try pm'ing him with questions.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

#5 ·
Not an air boat I would be still be using my 25 hp as my primary mode of transportation. Nonetheless there is a huge difference an air boat has a big block with fan blade on it! A kicker fan usually has less than 25 hp and is more or less a trolling motor.

It would be interesting to see how DOW defines air powered when you still have a 25 hp out board on it.

#6 ·
Not an air boat I would be still be using my 25 hp as my primary mode of transportation. Nonetheless there is a huge difference an air boat has a big block with fan blade on it! A kicker fan usually has less than 25 hp and is more or less a trolling motor.

It would be interesting to see how DOW defines air powered when you still have a 25 hp out board on it.
I am not a stranger to the world of bowfishing. I know exactly what a pusher fan is, and have shot from fanboats. It is still considered airpowered, as it pushes the boat in place of a troller.

Why build a fan with a smaller motor than 25 horse? Then you have to run it at almost full throttle to get anywhere and it is super loud and annoying. Do yourself a favor and move up to a 35 or so and add at least a 48 inch prop, still noisy, but at least you aren't listening to the annoying waaaaaaaaaa....waaaaaaaa of the small motor.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.