Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have only hunted fall once. How does everyone hunt in the fall compared to spring?

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
4,400 Posts
I usually walk a field-woods edge at first light stopping and calling about every 200 yds, until I locate a roosted flock. When I get a response I look for place to set up. Kind of like spring hunting. I never have used the scatter method.
sam-r261 UP.Browser/6.2.3.8 (GUI) MMP/2.0

·
Banned
955 Posts
Find where they feed and wait them out like deer. I don't use the scatter tactic either. If I can get close enough to scatter them I will just shoot one LOL. Plus, I don't want to push the birds onto neighboring properties if I scatter them close to the property line.

I personally set up over my food plots (they seem to prefer clover) and oak flats. My father and I have two areas we hunt and we do very well with that tactic. The area I hunt is a clover plot of either 1/4 or 1/2 acre and the area he hunts is a gasline planted in rye and wheat that is next to a nice oak flat.

I just pulled my cameras and the turkeys are drilling the clover so if they keep that up it will be just a matter of sitting and waiting.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
I too have been geting some Turks on cam if never hunted fall but I mite. My luck ill see them a few times buy a tag and never see them agin!!

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
561 Posts
Find where they feed and wait them out like deer. I don't use the scatter tactic either. If I can get close enough to scatter them I will just shoot one LOL. Plus, I don't want to push the birds onto neighboring properties if I scatter them close to the property line.

I personally set up over my food plots (they seem to prefer clover) and oak flats. My father and I have two areas we hunt and we do very well with that tactic. The area I hunt is a clover plot of either 1/4 or 1/2 acre and the area he hunts is a gasline planted in rye and wheat that is next to a nice oak flat.

I just pulled my cameras and the turkeys are drilling the clover so if they keep that up it will be just a matter of sitting and waiting.
x2

·
Registered
5,092 Posts
First, do a lot of scouting, especially looking for heavy duty scratchings in areas of wild grape vines. If you know where they roost frequently and locate the scratchings, you just set up between the two areas and bushwack them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts