Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

Ever shoot anything accidentally that your not alowed to bowfish

5K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  fike21 
#1 ·
Just want to know if anyone else has mistaken anything for a carp or gar that your not allowed and shoot it?

#4 ·
its possible where i shoot, EF lake has some grass carp your not supposed to shoot and in that stained water sometimes you cant tell the difference between them and the BM buffalo in there when the fish are deeper than 1 foot, havent done it but came close :whistle:

#5 ·
You aren't sposed to shoot the grassies there? I never have but a buddy shot a couple. I never saw any signs posted anywhere either like most lakes where they protect them.
Ya just need to make sure what you shooting at before you shoot just like anything else.

#6 ·
I do most of my shooting in the Ohio river and most of my first time bowfishers have alot of trouble with buffalo carp and drum.We are not aloud to shoot drum,or sheephead in the river.I usually call out shoot or don't shoot to most of my guests.It takes a few trips to get an eye for all the different species in the river.I used to pass on bowfin because I didn't know what they were,not any more;)....Joe

#7 ·
Well the thing I thought was a crap turned out to be a beaver! The water was muddy and i just saw a big black shadow and asummed it was the biggest carp i ever seen. Luckily I barely had him stuck ,and when he jumped 3 feet out of the water and spun he got off. He lived because now I see him alot and he has been doing work on the trees along the shore.

#8 ·
I do most of my shooting in the Ohio river and most of my first time bowfishers have alot of trouble with buffalo carp and drum.We are not aloud to shoot drum,or sheephead in the river.I usually call out shoot or don't shoot to most of my guests.It takes a few trips to get an eye for all the different species in the river.I used to pass on bowfin because I didn't know what they were,not any more;)....Joe
That rule is stupid. Why aren't we allowed to shoot drum statewide? Luckily we normall fish the IN/KY section of river and KY lets you shoot em. Some of the biggest drum around are in the Ohio. We see alot on erie but they only run a couple pounds. We don't ever see bowfin down here. Wish we did though. I shot on that was a touch under 10# in IN last weekend. It was a beast of a dogfish.

#9 ·
You aren't sposed to shoot the grassies there? I never have but a buddy shot a couple. I never saw any signs posted anywhere either like most lakes where they protect them.
Ya just need to make sure what you shooting at before you shoot just like anything else.
Jake i never had any one official tell me not too, an old man at the boat ramp saw my bow and told me to stray away from the grassies, they're protected in all state parks (dunno if thats true). i never saw a sign either, im just not one to shoot and ask questions later im prolly gonna call the office at the park and find out for sure because i passed on a nice one last summer sittin underneath a tree right off the bank.

#11 ·
i must admit i once did a no no...but every fish i shot was a carp...it was in the cornfields along the hocking river,many years ago...the water was muddy and i could see the v's or wake of the fish only a lot of the time...sometimes i seen a fin but sometimes all i seen was the wake...and i shot at least 20 that day...prolly much more and i must say it was one of the funnest days of my life...cant believe no ones ever done it since fishing in flooded areas usually means muddy water...again every fish was a big old carp...not sure if bass come up in these areas or not...i agree drum should be legal...also better be careful shooting grassies,i once asked to shoot one at a golf course i was allowed to fish and i almost lost the fishing privilege,grassies dont reproduce so theres no over population issues and they eat up weeds...:biggrin:

#14 ·
when grass carp get too big they are no good, they prefer most native grasses over the invasive.all they are are floating fertilizer tanks in most ponds, and most ppl don't know that. I say shoot em all :)
i've never heard this and those that run the golf courses and control weeds in the ponds prolly know whats best...i dont know how much they cost but he definately didnt like me talking about shooting the carp...also this guy was a hunter and fisherman...grass carp were off limits...:D

#16 ·
i've never heard this and those that run the golf courses and control weeds in the ponds prolly know whats best...i dont know how much they cost but he definately didnt like me talking about shooting the carp...also this guy was a hunter and fisherman...grass carp were off limits...:D
I'm actually about to start the process of taking some out of a county park for them, id say they know what they are talking about as well

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.