Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found some goodies last week. Bill Folberth 1950's recurve and a 1971 K-mag still in original box and a sweet leather top bear quiver. I'm so lucky! I've never
seen bows in such great shape and the K-mag WOW! its still in plastic in box and its a grey glass with black overlays! I'll never get this lucky again. I'll try and get some pics up.

·
Registered
48,626 Posts
Found some goodies last week. Bill Folberth 1950's recurve and a 1971 K-mag still in original box and a sweet leather top bear quiver. I'm so lucky! I've never
seen bows in such great shape and the K-mag WOW! its still in plastic in box and its a grey glass with black overlays! I'll never get this lucky again. I'll try and get some pics up.
folberth had a few patents on laminated bows including the sight window/shelf...i guess the only company to pay for that right was bear archery...last i know he was still alive i think...i have a 1937 and its just amazing,his work...i think the window patent was in 1934...he was laminating bows with fiberglass on both sides...the guy was way ahead of the rest...i believe he was located in cleveland...i have shot the bow but the tips are a lil shakey...:biggrin:

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
folberth had a few patents on laminated bows including the sight window/shelf...i guess the only company to pay for that right was bear archery...last i know he was still alive i think...i have a 1937 and its just amazing,his work...i think the window patent was in 1934...he was laminating bows with fiberglass on both sides...the guy was way ahead of the rest...i believe he was located in cleveland...i have shot the bow but the tips are a lil shakey...:biggrin:
Yes he had patents for all sorts of stuff he was ahead of the others for sure. I guess him and his brother Fred patented a windshield wiper too. This bow has real small tips and the fiberglass on both sides as you say. Osage was used and not sure what the wood is. His bows also were known for the feather rest on shelf which this bow has. I may be selling these items soon not much on collecting the bears or older bows anymore so look for them to come up for sale.
;)

·
Registered
48,626 Posts
Yes he had patents for all sorts of stuff he was ahead of the others for sure. I guess him and his brother Fred patented a windshield wiper too. This bow has real small tips and the fiberglass on both sides as you say. Osage was used and not sure what the wood is. His bows also were known for the feather rest on shelf which this bow has. I may be selling these items soon not much on collecting the bears or older bows anymore so look for them to come up for sale.
;)
feather rests were popular on most bows in the early years...up into the sixties...mine has the feather rest and small tips too...it has a smooth fiberglass on the belly and the patch(woven)on the back...there are several laminations in the risor and the limbs have 4 or five lams...:D

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ya mine is straight wood with osage from tip to tip on front and woven fiberglass on both sides. I strung it this afternoon and the thing is a hella shooter. no shock. I seen a few pics of some and they had a woven grip of some sort??? Mine had one it seems but not now. weird how a bow that was made in 50's shoots as well as a bow made today. Whats with the super wide limbs? whatever the reason he made a bad mamjamma.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts