Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
5,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As it says enter your harvest, this also includes youth bonus points.

Your OS name
Team number or name
Antlerless or antlered and number of points
Ohio harvest tag number
Date of harvest

·
Registered
864 Posts
Youth bonus points.
Team 4
Irishhacker
9-25-22 5:45 p.m.

I took my 11 year old niece Addison out to the blind on private ground in darke county. We got in the blind at 4:30. She brought her phone and plenty of snacks and water. The phone and snacks help keep the youngsters in the blind longer ;-)

Around 5:40, 2 does came in. She waited on the bigger doe to turn broadside and she squeezed the trigger on the crossbow. We waited about 30 minutes before tracking. We found her arrow 20 yards into track. We followed blood for maybe 60 yards to a beautiful doe with a perfect double lung shot. Happy day.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Confirmation number qa4322
Youth hunt
350 legend
No story really hit the can call and bam two young bucks came walking in spared a bit and she took her shot ….very proud of her on her first buck and second deer ever

Attachments

·
Registered
264 Posts
Took my son out on a youth hunt Saturday morning, he said he was willing to brave the cold. Got setup in a blind and fired up the heater, but it didn't help much, and the stiff breeze kept blowing it out. He stayed focused and was able to spot 2 does come into the edge of the field 100 yards out, we got turned towards them with the gun, but they went the other direction and never presented a shot. He was excited to at least see something on his first hunt and the excitement took the chill away for a bit. 15 minutes later I spot a small buck coming through the corn field towards our orchard. I tell him to get the gun up and ready to shoot once he cleared the corn into the orchard. The buck kept his line and with a couple of bleats, he stopped and my son put a decent shot on him, a little low, but it worked. We watched him jump and quickly walk back into the corn. We gave him 15 minutes before going after him. Followed a blood trail and then found his first deer. Now he will be spoiled, first hunt and he gets a deer, a buck none the less.

Team 6
11/19/22
Confirmation number T93W22
350 legend AR
Blue Sleeve Standing Window Sky
Smile Plant People in nature Wood Grass

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
My 17 Y.O. decided he wanted to go out for his final youth season last Saturday morning, so we got up early and into stand on a ridgline overlooking some woods. I put my decoy out about 50 yards. Heard a few turkey yelps at first light, but no deer. Around 8;00 A.M. we saw a deer coming off the hill to our right, heading right towards the decoy. i told him it looks like a 2 y.o. 8 point if he wants it. He debated on what to do as it walked about 75 yards in front of us. Eventually the temptation of fresh jerky standing there got to him, and he took the shot with the 50 Beowulf. The deer ran about 50 yards and piled up. He took the top half of the heart off. We went back home to get the 4 wheeler and his younger brother decided to come up to help.

As we were gutting him out, a neighbor texted me. He was driving by a field where I have a double stand and said he just saw a big buck chasing a doe by my stand. We got the one buck to the barn, and I took my other son out to the field and sat for a couple hours. We caught a glimpse of what looked like a big buck in the woods behind us, but couldn't get a shot. We went back out later that evening and set a decoy up in the field. about 5:00 two does came in and started walking towards the decoy. They were about 10 yards from it when he decided to shoot. They took off and she made it about 50 yards and went down in the field.

First time we have doubled up during youth season in awhile.

Team 6
11-19-22
50 Beuwulf AR

·
Premium Member
1,559 Posts
YOUTH HUNT
MAGGIE/Team 6
11-19-22
Confirmation # HAM722
Spike Buck

I wasn’t sure how this youth season would go or if it would even happen….our daughter and her husband drove in from Iowa for Thanksgiving. I didn’t want to give up an entire weekend of their visit to deer hunting but also didn’t want the younger kids to miss out. They assured us they had plans with friends and would be fine. We decided to forgo the Saturday morning hunt which ended up being a good decision considering the windy and cold weather.

We got to our farm later than expected due to road construction and backed up traffic. Our son, Luke has never taken an interest in deer hunting but loves to shoot targets. We convinced him to give it a try or at least come out with us as he will age out of youth huntting after this year. It was decided that Luke would hunt with me, Kate with her Dad and vice versa for Sunday’s hunt.

It was still extremely windy and cold so we decided on shooting shacks even though the wind direction was slightly wrong for me and Luke’s setup.
Smile Glasses Outerwear Eyebrow Eye

-finally set up
Smile Sleeve Window Flash photography Cool

-ready for deer

We got set up a little after 3:00 and it wasn’t long before we saw our first deer…a pretty 2.5 yr old 8 point. A few minutes later some does showed up and the 8 ran them around, concentrating on one doe in particular. With the buck gone chasing the hot doe, Luke set his sights on a decent doe. She ran about 10 yards and we watched her go down. . . His first deer EVER!! He was pretty excited and we went to take a look at her. He made a perfect heart shot and we decided to tag her and keep hunting as it was only a little past 3:30.

Now this is where the story gets interesting and a little crazy!! We saw the 8 again and 2 spikes. Kate and Dad texted and said they saw 5 spikes. Luke decided to go ahead and take a spike as his first antlered buck…seeing as we had so many of those running around. I told him the 6x4 buck might show up and he could wait, but he decided on the spike as it was now after 5:00. He made a good shot, the buck ran about 30 yards and just stood there. He looked a little wobbly and it appeared he was going to bed down.

Now here’s the crazy part….from our right runs a button buck and then a doe and following them are 2 dogs. And, didn’t ya know, those dogs picked up Luke’s buck and they were off running. I looked at Luke and said, “Luke, I think we have to get down and get your buck before the dogs do…and bring the gun.”
Dog Carnivore Dog breed Grass Companion dog

-Tactacam pic of the white dog at the opposite side of our farm about 45 minutes before they made their way to us

We were able to easily locate the dogs and buck with all the barking and, sure enough, they had the buck cornered. The buck had bedded down against a log trying to hide himself. The orange dog was barking and biting at the buck’s face 😮 and the white dog was trying to get in on the action, too. We were able to scare off the dogs without using the gun, but they did try to come back which was a little disconcerting. It took a second well placed bullet to bring down the buck…not the most ideal situation, but he handled it well and without any hesitation.
Chainsaw Smile Tree Wood Hat

Smile Hunting Deer hunting Wildlife biologist Wildlife

-The Doe
Shoe Smile Chainsaw Outdoor recreation Wood

-Sister couldn’t be happier for him!!
Photograph Eye Flash photography Wood Smile

-Sister got a doe, too!

The following day, we decided to skip the morning hunt. For the evening hunt, Luke and Dad went to see what all was happening on the opposite side of the farm and Kate and I went back to the same shack Luke and I were at.

We got out earlier than the previous evening, but the deer were later and we didn’t see the first deer until 4:00…a pretty tight racked, tall tined 2.5 year old. Next, the 8 and some does came in to feed. We watched the deer for a bit and decided to get on some does as we had seen 8 different does already. About the time Kate was setting up to shoot, the gun tripod that we brought but weren’t using fell over. It made such a racket that most of the deer spooked and boogered off. Eventually a doe and her fawns returned. It’s after 5:00 now and Kate decides to set up. As she’s sighting in the doe, I see antlers at 12:00 coming up through the tall grass. I quickly recognize the 6 x 4 and tell Kate to wait a minute. I know he is going to want to scent check these does that are at 35 yards from us. I know he is really looking for the hot doe and he could be out of our sight any minute. I tell her what’s going to happen, that he’s going to push the does and to just get him in the sights and wait for the shot… be ready. Sure enough, he pushes the does and comes to 24 yards! He gives her a beautiful broadside shot and she takes the safety off. CLICK. He hears it and snaps his head around looking up at us. Now he’s slightly quartering to and stomping. She’s not sure if she should wait for broadside. I tell her to follow the leg up and put the bullet middle of the body. STOMP, STOMP. “Now, Katie, now” but I’m really thinking: hurry, Katie, he’s going to bolt. BOOM, I stick my head out the window and hear him crash. This girl has gone and shot 3 nice bucks in 3 years!
Head Hunting Human body Deer Fawn

-one lucky girl!!

Smile Vertebrate Organ Mammal Happy

- back at the barn, Buck is hung up…I honestly can’t believe we are still smiling after dragging him out! Perfect double lung but he ran downhill into some of the nastiest stuff on our place (not pictured: Brother who was frozen after his hunt with dad and had to go back to the cabin and sit by the fire 😂)

·
Premium Member
2,508 Posts
My 17 Y.O. decided he wanted to go out for his final youth season last Saturday morning, so we got up early and into stand on a ridgline overlooking some woods. I put my decoy out about 50 yards. Heard a few turkey yelps at first light, but no deer. Around 8;00 A.M. we saw a deer coming off the hill to our right, heading right towards the decoy. i told him it looks like a 2 y.o. 8 point if he wants it. He debated on what to do as it walked about 75 yards in front of us. Eventually the temptation of fresh jerky standing there got to him, and he took the shot with the 50 Beowulf. The deer ran about 50 yards and piled up. He took the top half of the heart off. We went back home to get the 4 wheeler and his younger brother decided to come up to help.

As we were gutting him out, a neighbor texted me. He was driving by a field where I have a double stand and said he just saw a big buck chasing a doe by my stand. We got the one buck to the barn, and I took my other son out to the field and sat for a couple hours. We caught a glimpse of what looked like a big buck in the woods behind us, but couldn't get a shot. We went back out later that evening and set a decoy up in the field. about 5:00 two does came in and started walking towards the decoy. They were about 10 yards from it when he decided to shoot. They took off and she made it about 50 yards and went down in the field.

First time we have doubled up during youth season in awhile.

Team 6
11-19-22
50 Beuwulf AR

Your kids are deer killing machines!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts