close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Enter 2012/2013 Youth Hunt here!

Discussion in '2012 Team Deer Hunting Contest' started by Deehntr56, Sep 23, 2012.

1. Deehntr56

Deehntr56 Staff Member Mod

Take a Youth Hunting Bonus

If you take a youth Deer hunting this season (under 16 years old), and you can document the hunt with photo and a short narrative of the hunt, we will score it as 5 bonus points for your team. The youth hunt is strictly for deer hunting-no other youth hunt qualifies.

Required-

A photo will include the team member and the youth they took hunting. Include a short story about the hunt. The hunt does not have to result in a kill. That is not what it's all about. We realize someone could "stage" something to collect 5 points, but since it is a for fun contest and requires a photo and a story, I don't think anyone will bother. The point is to acknowledge getting youth involved in our passion.

One youth entry per member.

http://www.ohiosportsman.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53978

I will open this thread on Friday(9/28/12)-

Thread is open for business-good luck to all the youth hunters!!

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 8, 2012
  2. I took my son hunting this evening (opening day of bow season 2012). He has been hunting with me a few times before. In fact, two years ago, when he was only 9, he killed his first deer. It was a young buck with 3 points. Nonetheless, it was a trophy to us because it was his first deer, I called it in, and he got it with his crossbow. Today was a special hunt because it was his first time hunting from a tree stand. Previously, we always hunted from a ground blind (they conceal a lot of movement, scent, and sound . . . great for kids!) Now, he is old enough and strong enough now to climb a tree. I figured an hour in the tree would be about all he could stand and I was right! He was relatively still while we were on stand, but he was more than ready to run around and roll in the grass when we got down from the tree! We didn’t see any deer, but it was an awesome time because it was the first time we have ever gotten to hunt together in a tree! My son told me that I am one of his best friends! Today is one of my best days ever!:thumbs_up:

PastorSlaughter - 9/29/2012
    Team 19 – Mass Production

Attached Files:

3. My son joined for both afternoon sits this weekend. Opening afternoon was very memorable. We chose a stand off the back of one of our food plots, mostly for convenience. We only have 2 buddy stands set up and the other is a much further walk with much less visibility early in the season.

[​IMG]

We were just getting settled in and I was whispering to him about deer I had seen from that stand and about a buck that I shot. As I was turned toward him, I looked over his shoulder and saw the first deer. A doe was feeding her way up the hill. I think she was picking up cherries. He desperately wanted me to shoot her. Instead we let her feed by. I tried to teach him a few things as the opportunity presented. When to get ready, when the good times to shoot would be. I hope he learned something, but I know he was a little tormented as I suggested when the good times to shoot would be. "But you're not going to are you?" He asked a couple of times.

After the first doe wandered into the food plot, I caught movement in front of us. Two gray fox came in together. I'm not certain how many gray fox I've ever seen out of the deer stand before then, but it I can only remember one other. He got to see two! One fox got pretty close and I think it spooked when it hit the trail we walked in on. As it trots off, you can see the other just briefly.

After the fox left, we saw a couple more does. One more that came into range. "You're not going to shoot are you?" I tried to explain that I get more fun out of being out than shooting at every deer I can. We left the stand early. He was pretty fidgety and I didn't want to force him to stay too long or risk running off a shooter buck. I think the whole thing worked out as well as possible.

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2015
  4. Deehntr56

Nice job gentlemen!:thumbs_up:

5. Team 9 Pass through posse
    B0whunt3e

Took my Daughter out Sunday evening and Monday morning. We didn't see any deer but had a good time. She has gotten better at sitting this year and I think if she keeps at it she'll get a deer this year.

Attached Files:

6. I was back bowhunting the family farm in illinois this week when my brother in law asked me if i would take his15 year old son out for the youth shotgun opener this past weekend to try and get him his first deer. We hunted in a blind saurday morning and only saw one deer. We moved to a different spot in the evening and allen was able to shoot a button buck at 4pm. I was more nervous then he was even though i could see his legs shaking. The deer paused at 20yds and he dropped him with one shot. I think i enjoyed the hunt more then any other hunt ive been on. If u get the chance take a kid or someone that has never hunted out and the look on their face if they are successful is worth everyminute of it
    Youth team PSD 10/6/12

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Attached Files:

7. Team 15 'Rack Attack"

Here's a couple of pics of being out with my each of my sons over the past week.

The first one, is of my oldest (10 y/o) in the stand with me. He is going on his 3rd season of tagging along with me, and will be his 2nd season to hunt. His crossbow is all ready to go and he is quite good with my muzzleloader for youth weekend. The really cool thing is that he has been cutting grass and saving up to buy his first 'real' compound bow. I'd told him I'd pay half. I think he'll cut the last yard needed this week! I can't wait!

The second pic is of my youngest (5 y/o) in the blind with me. This was his first trip out. He had been saying he wanted to go, so we went. The blind was perfect for him. He did pretty good and lasted the 2 hours we were out there. Of course, snacks, video games, and music did help quite a bit. So glad he wanted to go.

I am really looking forward to seeing them harvest their first deer. I am even more excited about the idea of the three of going on weekend hunting/camping trips in a few more years and hunting together!

Team #15- Rack Attack
    Member Name- El Jefe

Attached Files:

8. Deehntr56

Updated scores 10/7/12@3:15 pm

9. Does my son tagging along count?He does not
    "officially" deer hunt yet

10. [​IMG]took my boy out sat for his first offical hunt we got up around 5am an headed out to the blind an about 8am he missed a dandy buck at 20 yrds they we went out took nap then hunted the eve we seeen a few deer but non close enough to stick team 8 ribecage ticklers

11. Took my 10 yr old daughter on he first out of state hunting trip this moning. (KY youth rifle season)
    Got in blind about 6:30 but nothing showed. As we was walking out at 10:00 I saw a deer feeding at the edge of field. It was about 400 yrds off. As we watched it feed it kept going from farther away. She ,my daughter, kept saying we should sneak up on it. So We dropped down in a creek and walked several hundred yards then belly crawed to a old fence and dwn the fence till it was just about out of field. It was about 140 yrds away. I got her tripod set up and she settled in. After the shot it ran across field and went down just before entering woods.
    I couldnt be prouder.
    ImageUploadedByOHubCampfire1350176136.160880.jpg

Team #2 Boys of Fall
    Dm32

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 13, 2012
  12. Team 13
    Brokenwind
    10-13-12
    Youth Hunt

I took my 10 year old daughter out for her first ever deer hunt tonight. I had taken my 7 year old son out the night before, and today my daughter said she wanted to go. I had planned on going to a hot spot myself, but instead went up behind the house to a food plot I planted. She has never shot the crossbow before, so I was hesitant to let her shot if an opportunity arose. I was hoping to practice with her before going, but after kids soccer games, we didn't make it home in time to practice. We instead headed into the woods.

We were in the double stand for about 30 minutes, when this small doe walked in. She initially told me to shoot it, but I told her I wanted to wait awhile to see if something else came in. She then asked if she could shoot it. She has shot many different scoped guns before with me and the boys, so I knew she was somewhat familiar with a scope. I asked if she could see the deer in the scope and she said she could. I asked if she could see a small light tan patch of fur behind the front leg. She said she could. I told her to put the crosshairs on that patch of fur and squeeze the trigger. The deer turned broadside 3 different times before she got the courage to shoot. She then made a perfect double lung shot.

We got down and went back to the house to get her 3 younger brothers. I videoed them as the followed the blood trail. I peeked into the woods and saw the deer laying there about 30 yards away, but didn't tell them, they walked around, with the deer in plain sight, following blood drops for about 3 minutes before my 7 year old looked up and saw it laying there. After a quick photo with them all, we tagged it, gutted it, and took it back to clean it off and get some good pictures. She was pretty excited and proud.

It is probably the smallest deer I have ever seen taken, but I'll probably remember it better then many of the big bucks I have shot.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2012
  13. Deehntr56

Great start everyone-very nice youth hunts!!!

Scores updated 10/15/12 @6:30 pm

14. er318
    Team 21 Blackjack
    Youth Hunt entry 10/19/12

I took my 4 year old granddaughter bow hunting with me earlier today. She's still a little too small to shoot a bow on her own but we plan to get her a bow when she gets bigger. She was a little squirmy in the tree stand but we managed to get a little quality hunting time in. Although we didn't see any deer this time out I told her all about deer and answered all the questions she had. We were only out for a couple hours but she had a great time and is already asking to do it again. My wife took the first photo as we were heading out into the woods together. Then we stopped for a few more photos before heading out.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2015
  15. er318, that's outstanding. They all are, for that matter, but if I ever become a grandad, I only hope I can do as well. Nicely done!

16. Deehntr56

Nicely Done er318!:thumbs_up:

17. Took my oldest daughter (9) out for the first time tonight. It was a rainy evening but we were in a ground blind. We heard some movement in the nearby thicket but never saw anything. I was worried that she wasn't going to enjoy the experience since we saw no deer. I was wrong about that. She must have thanked me a half dozen times before we got home.

We also worked on "walking" techniques on the way to the blind. She was dragging her feet. By the time we got out to the blind she was in stealth mode.

Anyhow, it was a great time even though we didn't see any deer. I'm now planning to take my 5 year old daughter out. They'll be alternating each time I go to the ground blind.

Team 23 Nocked & Loaded
    10/19/2012

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 19, 2012
  18. Team 6 Outdoor Shoppers
    Member: JJR
    Youth hunter: Wesley 13 years old

On opening day we were able to get out for the evening hunt. We had gotten our practice in. I am confident that he will make a good clean shot with the bowtech Stryker.

We worked on getting to the stand quietly. Talked about how you pick up trash you see. Always leave the woods with more trash than what you went in with.

We get in the stand and range our shooting lanes. Too bad we didn't see any deer but we had a good time.

Attached Files:

19. Deehntr56

20. Team# 12 team gut pile
    Youth hunter: Brayden Anderson

Well it was two weeks ago me and the boy headed for our stand.
    Nestling in at about 3pm we had hoped to have an eventful nite. At about 4:30 we had two doe and 3 fawns show up and feed for a hr before walking off so no shots at the big doe's but we did have a bb rite under us for quite some time.
    I plan on taking him for youth gun ill post a pic an story if he gets one.

View attachment 4763

Last edited by a moderator: May 28, 2013