Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone heard of any recent elk sightings in the Ashtabula/Geauga county area? I emailed odnr but they said I had to call my local office, and I'm thinking they'll probably be hush hush about it.

Reason I'm asking: 7/28 at around 9pm I heard a noise in the woods behind my house. This is the woods between New Hudson and Montgomery Rd. I've lived here 12 years and have NEVER heard anything like this. I could tell where it was coming from (about 600-800 ft back) and I could tell that whatever it was, it was BIG. Of course, nobody else was home to witness this with me (figures). The "moaning" went on for about an hour, it would go on for a few minutes, stop for 5 or 10, and start up again.

I searched the internet for two days trying to find something that would make this sound and couldn't find anything remotely similar. Then I remembered the elk that came through the area last year and was shot in Parkman. I looked up elk sounds, and dang if that isn't it.

I feel like I'm reporting a bigfoot or ufo sighting....people will think I'm nuts, but I swear that's what it was. I just want to be validated, so anyone hear of any elk loose around here?

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Has anyone heard of any recent elk sightings in the Ashtabula/Geauga county area? I emailed odnr but they said I had to call my local office, and I'm thinking they'll probably be hush hush about it.

Reason I'm asking: 7/28 at around 9pm I heard a noise in the woods behind my house. This is the woods between New Hudson and Montgomery Rd. I've lived here 12 years and have NEVER heard anything like this. I could tell where it was coming from (about 600-800 ft back) and I could tell that whatever it was, it was BIG. Of course, nobody else was home to witness this with me (figures). The "moaning" went on for about an hour, it would go on for a few minutes, stop for 5 or 10, and start up again.

I searched the internet for two days trying to find something that would make this sound and couldn't find anything remotely similar. Then I remembered the elk that came through the area last year and was shot in Parkman. I looked up elk sounds, and dang if that isn't it.

I feel like I'm reporting a bigfoot or ufo sighting....people will think I'm nuts, but I swear that's what it was. I just want to be validated, so anyone hear of any elk loose around here?
Could be a couple different things. Archery Elk is starting in September, maybe one of those amish families are heading out west and all the boys are practicing the Bugle. Those calls will ring out pretty far.

Drive down Montgomery and see if somebody is starting an Elk farm. Seems to be alot popping up here and there.

There is an Elk farm on Sirrine Rd. near me that has around 300 elk. This guy runs a top notch ranch so I can't imagine any elk escaping from there.

FYI. My buddy was Bowhunting on New Hudson right next to the Grand River about ten years ago and heard what he thought was a deer coming down the trail. Turned out to be a Kangaroo. Turns out someone had a pet Roo in the area that escaped and was cruisin the woods. Now that would be an experience.

·
Registered
2,589 Posts

Kim, I'd say it was an Elk but did you go out to see the tracks it left? I've heard Bigfoot will run from you so you would have been safe.

Go out and look for tracks if you can. Carry a big stick, I would, (Weatherby).

RGJZ06

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did go look for tracks and scat, but didn't find anything. It's so dry back there that there wasn't much to see. Couldn't even find much evidence of deer. And I didn't take a big stick, just a camera ;) I'll go back again tomorrow and try the swampier areas, but I don't expect to find anything. If it really was an elk I'm sure it was just passing through, not setting up house in my woods.

I'll agree that it could have been a person making elk calls, which would make sense because it went on for an hour and didn't move during that time. It just didn't seem like it was far enough away to be the next road over. And if someone was in the woods in the dark doing that they're crazy. Heck, maybe it was my neighbor being weird. I don't think he hunts but I'll go talk to him and see if he's taken up an elk calling hobby.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts