Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a new smoker as my old one has seen better days. It was a charcoal unit and I have been giving thought to going with an electric this time. Which one would you purchase or would should I buy another charcoal?

Your input would be greatly appreciated!!

RGJZ06

·
Registered
48,626 Posts
i've sorta got into the "be healthy"thang and canned the charcoal grilles and now use propane...:Di want one i can use anywhere...:D

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i've sorta got into the "be healthy"thang and canned the charcoal grilles and now use propane...:Di want one i can use anywhere...:D
That's another option. You would need to take along a generator for the electric. That would be a big pain and the cost would kill you.

I use a gas grill at the house and my old smoker has always been too small when all the family comes over. I had twelve over last Sunday for a birthday celebration. I smoked some pork ribs and had to be creative during that process. I started at dawn and we ate at four. Long day for sure. The next smoker I get will be large enough to cook a good load of food. I'd also like to smoke a turkey for thanksgiving so it will need to be somewhat large to accommodate that big boy.

RGJZ06

·
Registered
17 Posts
I switched to a ORION cooker it is great!! You can add wood chips for the smoky fav. I can cook 6 racks of ribs a 3 lb loin and two chickens in 1.5 hours. load it light it and leave it alone
Also it will handle a 20lb turkey

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I switched to a ORION cooker it is great!! You can add wood chips for the smoky fav. I can cook 6 racks of ribs a 3 lb loin and two chickens in 1.5 hours. load it light it and leave it alone
That's what I'm looking for.

Most turkeys we cook for Thanksgiving run about 20lbs. or a little more. I'll look into that one. Thanks

RGJZ06

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Im going to make my own smaller smoker....A slightly heavier duty version of a Trash can smoker..When I find the time an a SS food grade barrel/drum...I plan to use a electric single electric hot plate type deal with the temp control on the cord..Then a homemade smoker tray for wood chips.......Im cheap and only need room for 2 or 3 racks of baby backs,or single pork butt,or brisket or whatever ...
My fam comes over I feed them frozen beef patties an hot dogs:mischeif:

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Im going to make my own smaller smoker....A slightly heavier duty version of a Trash can smoker..When I find the time an a SS food grade barrel/drum...I plan to use a electric single electric hot plate type deal with the temp control on the cord..Then a homemade smoker tray for wood chips.......Im cheap and only need room for 2 or 3 racks of baby backs,or single pork butt,or brisket or whatever ...
My fam comes over I feed them frozen beef patties an hot dogs:mischeif:
LOL thqt is what I do. The frozen patties in a bag at wallmart is Wht I use!!!
They are actually pretty good
Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
LOL thqt is what I do. The frozen patties in a bag at wallmart is Wht I use!!!
They are actually pretty good
:thumbs_up:Thats right!! I will provide the grub,but bring your own damn pepsi:rant:

·
Registered
48,626 Posts
souns great elect.-gas...:mischeif:

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
Any more cooking/smoking experts that would want to help me out with a smoker suggestion?

I thought this would be a hot topic with you guys, (no pun intended).
RGJZ06

·
Premium Member
3,949 Posts
smokers

I used to use the Brinkman charcoal smoker, it was ok but lacked space. I'm using one of the Chargriller Duo's. It's gas grill on one side, charcoal on the other but then I added the optional fire box and I smoke everything use an actual wood fire with indirect heat. I've done everything from Jerky to a brisket in it and absolutely love it. There's a knack to learning how to build your fire to keep the temps in the ranges you need but it's not too hard and the results are great. :)

You can buy the charcoal grill and the optional fire box without getting the big set up I've got. It's a lot less money that way.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Here's my neighbors home made smoker

Had to edit forgot to say it'll cook 4 20# turkeys at a time ;)

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Here's my neighbors home made smoker

Had to edit forgot to say it'll cook 4 20# turkeys at a time ;)
That's over the top. Church event size. I have a pretty large family but no where that size. Thanks for posting that picture.

RGJZ06

OutdoorHub Mobile, the information engine of the outdoors.

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I used to use the Brinkman charcoal smoker, it was ok but lacked space. I'm using one of the Chargriller Duo's. It's gas grill on one side, charcoal on the other but then I added the optional fire box and I smoke everything use an actual wood fire with indirect heat. I've done everything from Jerky to a brisket in it and absolutely love it. There's a knack to learning how to build your fire to keep the temps in the ranges you need but it's not too hard and the results are great. :)

You can buy the charcoal grill and the optional fire box without getting the big set up I've got. It's a lot less money that way.
A Brinkman is what I'm replacing as it was over three years old. I've overheated it a time or two and the black coating failed causing it to rust. I'd like something larger this go round. I have a large stand alone LP gas grill that has become our hurricane kitchen. Power can be off for several days during a storm and that thing has saved our bacon more than once.

This time around I just want a smoker.

RGJZ06

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
That's over the top. Church event size. I have a pretty large family but no where that size. Thanks for posting that picture.

RGJZ06

My family is HUGE,I just dont let 70% of them know where I live:mischeif:..
Look up Guinness book of world records"biggest family reunion" and you will see why..
Almost 2600 in attendance in Flat top WV in 2009(bring on the brother/father inbred jokes)

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I like my electric smoker, i use it alot and it has not let me down.
That looks great. Yum

RGJZ06

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I ended up buying a Cookshack smoker. It's holds up to 25 lbs. It should be large enough to hold a turkey and most everything else I'll need to smoke.

RGJZ06

1 - 20 of 26 Posts