Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
If you encounter a dead deer and suspect EHD was the culprit, please take a pic of the carcass if possible and report it on the following DOW website:

Thanks!
Thank you for the link. I posted a report. It’s bad here locally in NW Meigs Co. “Dead” smell everywhere. Not seeing deer like we normally would. Found this buck while mowing the morning.
Plant Wood Trunk Grass Terrestrial plant

·
Premium Member
2,914 Posts
We went through this in the summer of 2017 here in eastern Ohio. It was devastating. Only bright spot is we have recovered very well. The DNR did a great service by lowering bag limits here. We are even now still a 2 deer county as well as Jefferson county which was totally decimated in 2017

·
Registered
966 Posts
I've lost one and know of two others nearby. Does on the trailcam have gotten fewer from this summer but holding steady over the past few weeks. I haven't had a buck on cam for a few weeks but that's normal for my place. Here's hoping for a freeze soon.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Glad to see they are finally taking EHD seriously. 2 years ago our local herd was decimated in Allen County and no one cared, just brushed it off as normal. We haven’t seen one mature buck on camera or in person since the outbreak. Our deer population is about half of what it was. Watch for large groups of buzzards- that’s the tell-tale sign you might have EHD in your area.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts